May 01 2012

Live each day as if it is your last!

Baby Avery is a 6-month-old girl who was born with a disease that doctors said would make it impossible for her to live past age 2. Her parents created a "bucket list" blog for her, written in her voice...a list of things she hoped to do in her short life. Sadly, she passed away yesterday. Some of the things on her bucket list:

1. Wake up smiling.

2. Have a bad hair day.

3. Talk to Mommy & Daddy.

4. Eat a cupcake and a Blow Pop.

5. Play with Play-Dough.

If you (and your kids) have had the opportunity to do these things (and many more!), you have more than many people in the world. Avery challenges us, in her short life, to appreciate every moment and live each day as if it is our last.

If today were your last day...what would YOU do?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (47) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

5/1/2012 1:43:55 PM
Heidi United States
Heidi
I'd want to have my kids and as much of my family as possible around me to laugh and joke, recall our funny memories, and just make the best of what time I had left.  Oh, and eat lots of cheeseburgers and ice cream! Smile
5/1/2012 1:44:23 PM
Erin Morash United States
Erin Morash
If today was my last day... I would want to hold each of my children on my lap and see them smile, and feel their individual touches. I then would want my husband to hold me until I went home to see Jesus!
5/1/2012 1:44:46 PM
Bernice Hughes United States
Bernice Hughes
I would make sure that my family, especially my husband and grandson would know how much I love them and what happiness they brought into my life.
5/1/2012 1:47:25 PM
Donna Stevens United States
Donna Stevens
What a beautiful, yet tragic, situation. And how it brings home to us how valuable every moment of every day is. Nothing gives me greater joy than being together with my entire family, my kids and grandkids, & if I knew today was my last day, I would want to spend every moment with them, to instill in them how proud I am of them & how much joy they've given me. But if it was my last day, I would also relish the fact that I'd be going to heaven and maybe, if God deemed me worthy, I'd get to play grandma to little Avery until she's joined one joyous day with her Mommy & Daddy!
5/1/2012 1:48:40 PM
Tyann Gilbert United States
Tyann Gilbert
If today was my last day alive, I would. . . make EVERY attempt to tell my family and friends face-to-face that "I Love You and you made my journey worth all the ups and downs, all the hurts and blessings, all the storms and sunshine."
My 29 year old nephew was killed in an automobile accident on March 7th of this year, he had been in prison for 6 years and only been out for 14 months. It wasn't nearly long enough BUT we celebrated and loved and made wonderful memories in those short months. We started our Sunday Family Day gathering (which we still do, thanks Kenneth). And my sister (Kenneth's mom) is a picture fanatic and we are so grateful because we have captured those few short months in pictures.
5/1/2012 1:49:08 PM
Teresa Rybolt United States
Teresa Rybolt
If today were my last day, I would gather all my children and read them the scriptures that they would need to hear to continue in the will of God for themselves...Ephesians 6:10-18, Matthew 5:7-12, John 3:16...just a few of the things I would share with my kids so they can be prepared for their walk with God.
5/1/2012 1:53:46 PM
Taylor United States
Taylor
If today was my last day....I would really want to see my family more then anyone!I'd spend every minute until my last breath.
5/1/2012 1:56:12 PM
Damiana United States
Damiana
if it was my last day i would see all my friends and talk to all my family and then worship God for the rest of the time. <3 God!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/1/2012 1:57:22 PM
Peg United States
Peg
If today was my last day, I would try one last time to talk to my two sons.  They decided almost six years ago that they want nothing to do with me. I miss them so very much.  I continue to pray daily and hold on to God! He is my hope, my every breath each morning.  He is why I get out of bed and try...again!
5/1/2012 1:57:32 PM
Monica United States
Monica
Hi scott and kelli (im 14) if it my last day i would first thank God 4 time He has given me and would want to reach out to as many people as i can and tell them how much Godloves them ( i would use the time God has given me to make a difference and expand His kingdom) and also spend time with my family and friends
5/1/2012 1:59:28 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
If today were my last day, I would make sure to tell everyone in my life "I Love You" and "Goodbye - for now".  And give each of them one last hug. And make all those phone calls to friends that keep getting put off until tomorrow.
I lost my Dad last week and I didn't have a chance to see him to tell him how much I really love him one last time or say Goodbye.  I am 7 months pregnant and it hurts knowing that he will never meet or hold his Grandson and be able to tell him that he loves him.
5/1/2012 2:00:29 PM
harry United States
harry
actually i would not want to change a thing.  i want to spend the day exactly where God has me.  i am where He wants me after 59 years of life and He has preparing me for this day.  knowing that one more day and i would be in His presence.  WOW. i guess i would just live out today communing with Jesus living in peace with Him.
5/1/2012 2:00:49 PM
Ashleigh United States
Ashleigh
If today was my last day, I would fly to Afgan. and be with my husband whom is deployed. As he makes everything better and easier to get through.
5/1/2012 2:04:32 PM
Claudia Angelica United States
Claudia Angelica
If today was my last day. I would spend my last day with my daughters & my ex husband. I would also dedicate my last hours thanking God for all of my blessings. (in chruch before the blessed sacrament) I would remind my daughters to love Jesus and to say their prayers daily. "When you are sad, afraid or have doubt PRAY and God will answer your prayers."
5/1/2012 2:06:29 PM
Stephanie LaPlante United States
Stephanie LaPlante
I would gather all my family and friends and have a family reunion and talk about the good old days listen to story after story till I was with Jesus.
5/1/2012 2:06:40 PM
cece United States
cece
If today was my last day....I would love for my mother to tell me how much she loves me and how proud she is of me. For many years I wished her and I could grow closer together. And be like what a mother and daughter should be..."Love you mommy and I hope and pray that one day you could love me as much as I love you.”
5/1/2012 2:07:22 PM
Brandy Garcia United States
Brandy Garcia
So sad but sweet they were parents with good hearts. If today was my last day I would take my kids to the park (almost 6 and 2) and my family could join us. Id want them to feel no sadness in my last hours as well I'd like to watch the beauty of my children laughing and playing Smile <3
5/1/2012 2:12:10 PM
Melanie United States
Melanie
I would be like Hezekiah and turn my face to the wall, I would tell Isaiah "go, talk to God then come back and only bring good news". However, that's not the case. I would grab my son and my husband, go back to California where all my family is, I would have them bake me a chocolate cake and buy balloons and celebrate!
5/1/2012 2:12:59 PM
Shelli V United States
Shelli V
I would want to see my estranged daughter walk through the door and spend every last minute with her telling her how much I've missed her over the last 5 yrs. And meet my two granddaughters that I have never met. I think I would hug and hold my daughter until the Lord took me. I've forgotten what her voice sounds like, it's been so long.
5/1/2012 2:14:27 PM
CIndy United States
CIndy
I would make sure my husband knew how much I love him, share one last hug with my children, read one more story to my grandkids and await the blessed reunion with those who have gone to heaven before me.
5/1/2012 2:15:05 PM
Mike United States
Mike
I would spend the day with my two daughters  whom I love more than anything in this world. They are 32 AND 18.  I would want them to know I did my best to be a good dad and why certain things  happened  mostly that I love them so much.  I am a good dad just wish I had been better somehow. Thanks  Mike
5/1/2012 2:15:49 PM
Geri United States
Geri
If today were my last day alive on this earth, I hope I would spend it surrounded by my beautiful daughters and grandchildren, trying to pour out an earthly lifetime of love in 24 short hours. I saw this love poured out to each of us when my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just 2 years ago. Knowing his time on earth was short, he spent his remaining days letting each one of us know how much we were loved. He shared his hopes and dreams for each of his daughters, and more important, shared his salvation story with us. He faced his death with such bravery and dignity. I only hope that I could model such faith for my children. Dan lost his battle with cancer just three short weeks after his diagnosis. God has held me through every painful day since his death. I want my children to know that God will NEVER leave them, and will hold them through the good and bad days, too. I'm looking forward to seeing Jesus for the first time and joining Dan in Heaven.
5/1/2012 2:16:34 PM
Carmen United States
Carmen
Bucket list addition: I am a horse lover, so I would want to make sure my baby was able to experience the sweet smell of a horses breath and the soft touch of their nose.
Carmen
5/1/2012 2:16:46 PM
Erica United States
Erica
I would spend it with my husband  and children telling them I did what I was meant to do which is find god  and just enjoy the day with them telling them how greatfull I am that god gave me this time spend with them.
5/1/2012 2:18:04 PM
Denise United States
Denise
I would tell all the people in my life how much I love them. I would make a video to tell my boys all the things they need to know as they grow up and all my prayers and hopes for them. I would want my family and close friends with me when I go to be with the Lord and make sure they are playing Klove at my bedside. Smile
5/1/2012 2:21:57 PM
Kennady United States
Kennady
If I were told that today was my last day on earth,I would get down on my knees and thank God for all that he has given me. If I could, I would want to spend my last breath serveing Him along side my very dear friends and Family. I would pray that my life as a 13 year old had glorified God in every way.

~Kennady
5/1/2012 2:26:16 PM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
Well I dnt would not want it to be about me! I will be in heaven and that's thr best happiest thing nothing on this earth would compare! I would not be selfish I would find my foster son lived with me for 8 monthS appox 5 years ago he is 14 now and I would do whatever it took that day to ensure he gets straightened out and knows he is loved!!
5/1/2012 2:28:13 PM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
Well I dnt would not want it to be about me! I will be in heaven and that's thr best happiest thing nothing on this earth would compare! I would not be selfish I would find my foster son lives with me for 8 monthS appox 5 years ago he is 14 now and I would do whatever it took that day to ensure he gets straightened out and knows he is loved!!
5/1/2012 2:33:36 PM
Karyl United States
Karyl
If I knew today was my last day on earth, I would pray for everyone I know, one last time.
5/1/2012 2:38:22 PM
Liz United States
Liz
if this were my last day, I would set aside anything that holds me back from telling my family, friends and others about my relationship with Christ and God's love for them. Sometimes I worry too much about what they'll think of me or my wanting not to offend them and their beliefs. I would not hold back! I love my Lord and Savior!!
5/1/2012 2:39:47 PM
Sherry United States
Sherry
I love the thought - live each day as if it were your last.  However, in reality, when kids are screaming, you are far from family, and life isn't as easy as it seems, I find it hard.  I try very hard to let my children know I love them - no matter what - every day.  I hope that's enough.
5/1/2012 2:40:41 PM
Sara Beth United States
Sara Beth
Can't call in today, as my phone is broken, otherwise I would.
---
This reminds me of 2 events that recently happened in my life. First, a very good friend of my parents was diagnosed with breast cancer sometime last year. Even after surgery to prevent it from spreading, it spread into her brain. She passed away in January. I was so shocked because I had called my mom 2 weeks before and she had said oh, she's doing great. But then she suddenly took a turn for the worse. When she passed, Mom said she was totally wrapped in God's peace. She had her husband and pastor beside her. God blessed her with a courageous and peaceful heart. She wasn't afraid to pass away. That is something I think only God can bless people with.
Another story: On Easter, our congregation was told that a young girl passed away the week before. Last week, I found out exactly who that girl was, and had to actually leave what I was doing and take a few minutes to digest it all. She was a little 4 yr old with the same name as my daughter, that i had played with in nursery only 2 weeks before her death.

Of course this makes me think of Steven Curtis Chapman and his family's recent situation.
---
If it were my last day, or however long I had to live, I'd love to go to the beach with my family and closest friends if possible and spend a wonderful day enjoying the beach-y weather and scenery.

5/1/2012 2:42:32 PM
Teresa United States
Teresa
As I listened to this I wondered how people can think about this so easily. Then I realized it's because it isn't real to them. It's still somewhere off in the distance. I mention this because I was making yet another appointment for cancer while I listened to this. When death is real or around the corner rather than somewhere in the future it is sometimes hard to look at.

Please don't misunderstand. I know what this is for and I applaud it. Think about what you would do if this were you're last day. By all means incorporate it into your life more!! For those of us who are looking at an end near by I hope that instead of thinking or adding sometimes we get up and DO now!

If today were my last day on Earth I would do two things. I would get a recorder, because we can speak faster than typing, and I would "write a letter" to everyone who is important to me telling them why and how they brightened my life. My second thing of course is that I would spend every bit of time I could with my family and friends that I love and that love me. I would remind them that I am going home and once I am there I will open all the windows and doors so I can watch over them and love them just as if I were here!

Since today is hopefully not my last day I believe I will get started on those letters Smile
5/1/2012 3:25:17 PM
Maria Santa Fierro United States
Maria Santa Fierro
If this were my last day.  I would plan a pre-funeral celebration. Just like a funeral there would be the church service with all the music, a wonderful sermon on salvation, video with pictures and oh so many beautiful songs of "Going up Yonder to be with my Lord", "Amazing Grace" and other Christian songs to encourage others to seek Jesus Christ.
Instead of sadness and tears, there would be laughs and tears of happiness.  And friends and family would say those things they did not have time to say  or that they didn't get a chance to say.  What is stopping us from living like  tomorrow is our last day?  Live each day for God's purpose, to His glory! Be Blest, A sister in Christ.
5/1/2012 3:28:44 PM
Kelly Estrella Mason United States
Kelly Estrella Mason
The song Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman after discussing this story seemed so fitting it brought a tear to my eye.  I'd love it if you would list/include any songs that you have about babies and children like this one as inspiration that every day you have with your loved ones is a blessing from the Lord.
5/1/2012 3:31:26 PM
Gloria United States
Gloria
First understand I am older and most of my family are gone already so if it was my last day on earth I would tell all my friends I love them and then spend the rest of the day praising God with arms held high and smiling at the thought of going home where I belong!
5/1/2012 3:31:31 PM
Ashley United States
Ashley
I would smile bc I would know that in just a short while, I would meet my savior (and my only two children who are alrwady with Him) Praise the Lord for that day!
5/1/2012 3:40:27 PM
Mark United States
Mark
1. Have my doctor’s receptionist ready to confirm if asked that I have 24 hours to go.
2. Call local churches until I find one or two people very strong in faith, willing to help me during my last hours.  The receptionist can confirm my condition.
3. They help me make sure I don’t turn on Him in my last hours, assuming Satan authorizes one last attempt on me.
4. The prayer of someone definitely facing heaven or hell is extremely powerful.  There is no distraction.  I would pray with my kind supporters (assuming any volunteered) to pray what He wanted in my last hours.  How strong my faith would be, how focused, if I knew I faced my permanent spiritual placement either with Him or in fire.
5.  Unless I turn on Him in the last hours, I get to walk in having worked for Him to the end.  He deserves that.  I’d have eternity to rest.
Please don’t think this trivial.  He does nothing until asked.  How I could call on Him as He directed to move, riveted by the knowledge I was going permanently soon.  Surely the dying one’s craving to be with Him and not in hell is overpowering when nearing death.  I should use that for Him before I go.
5/1/2012 3:44:13 PM
Kimberly United States
Kimberly
If it were my last day I would contact everyone in my Oikos that does not have a personal relationship with Jesus, to make one last attempt to share my testimony and and let them know this is my last day with them and I want to see them again someday and to do that they need Jesus.
5/1/2012 3:52:13 PM
Elise United States
Elise

If today were to be my last,I would spend it with my youger sister,my older sister,my mom,my dad, and my bestfriend maddy,Also my nana and pap.Then I would be able to see my friend holly who passed last yert at age 12.I would be SO excited to see my savior as i am now!
5/1/2012 4:11:20 PM
Shaunta United States
Shaunta
Me, I would find a way to get me and my kids to my husband Ron, who is deployed, so I could see them all together for one last time, I could kiss his face and tell him how sorry I was for anything I have done wrong and that no matter what I had always and would always love him, and then I could die peacefully in his arms
5/1/2012 4:11:38 PM
Emily United States
Emily
If today were my last day, i would drive down to Oklahoma and visit the best church camp ever, tell all of my friends to twirl at prom for me so that i can see them up in heaven. I would grab some sweet tea from McDonalds with my brother and ride in his car with the fuzzy dice hanging in the mirror, get one last hug from my friend Margerie, and let my mom kiss me on the cheek. And being a teen, I would get up the nerve to tell my crush i like him because he was the first person to make me feel beautiful since i was 12.
5/1/2012 4:24:19 PM
Rachel United States
Rachel
Why not take it a step forward and DO IT!!

Spend more time with your family...tell them that you love them...for we no not the hour or the day when Jesus comes...or he takes us home...
5/1/2012 4:56:35 PM
Jackie Carnes United States
Jackie Carnes
One time, a person asked St. Francis of Assisi what he would do if he found out the Lord would return in 10 minutes.  He looked up from where he was on his knees in the garden and said, "I would finish weeding my rose bushes."  Then he pulled went back to weeding.  He had lived his life in such a way that he had no regrets, and wouldn't have to run around trying to fit in anything before the end.

May we all live that way.
5/1/2012 6:46:37 PM
Phobe Boutte United States
Phobe Boutte
I have 7 children and so far 15 grandchildren. I teach 130ish 8th grade students each day. It would be very hard to spend my last day with everyone I love as there are so many and they are in 4 different states. I would write a love letter for them to open and read over and over again when I was no longer there to tell them how much they mean to me. Just like I look at my children's cards and notes from when they were little and read them from time to time and smile to remember when they gave them to me. Emails can be deleted, facebook fades into cyberspace, but the written word, just like God's written word, is there to encourage us and make us feel His love even when His physical presence cannot be felt. I would entrust my husband to deliver them faithfully to one and all, including one for someone to read to my students. I would ask them not to grieve, but to rejoice and rejoin me someday.
5/1/2012 7:27:46 PM
kay United States
kay
Instantly an answer came to me, but I knew it wouldn't be popular. So after due consideration, I'd go to bed and sleep. For most of my 53 years I've prayed everymight that I would never wake up. What better bucket list item than an unanswered prayer.
5/2/2012 7:39:40 PM
Stacey United States
Stacey
If today were my last day, I would spend all the time I could with my family especially my grandkids, ask for any forgiveness to anyone I may have offended. Then I would face my Lord and be very happy to be there. The one person I want to meet more than any one, is my Daddy (he passed away while my mom was pregnant with me). I know someday I will meet him in haven and I can't wait.  Smile God will be there to greet me and I will feel very blessed.