Jul 25 2012

Special Guest Shawn Johnson

Gold star: Medalist Shawn Johnson joins TODAY.com Olympic team. TODAY

Our special guest was Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson . Hear from her about her difficult decision to retire from competitive gymnastics and how her faith in God has carried her through.

Dealing with Pressure

Share Your Faith

Foundation of Faith

Kindness of Bob Costas

Next Step

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (16) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/19/2012 2:19:24 PM
Miranda United States
Miranda
Hi! I was wondering how I get to say hey to Shawn Johnson and maybe ask her a question...
6/19/2012 2:20:24 PM
April United States
April
shawn - at one time, i was a middle school coach.  i loved being a coach and being with my athletes, but someone in authority over me told me i was worthless.  i gave up my job as a coach and now i just teach.  i just read "winning balance"  thank you for the inspiration you left on those pages.  you are such a role model to all..young and old.  you are a beautiful person.  through my role as a teacher, and maybe one day a coach again, i hope to impact my students the way you have the nation.
6/19/2012 2:29:28 PM
Nina United States
Nina
Shawn, was there ever a time in your life where God was telling you to do something that you dread or were afraid of doing? If so, then what advice for that would you give teens that are dealing with that?
6/19/2012 2:32:02 PM
Jasmine McDowell United States
Jasmine McDowell
Shawn Johnson you are an incredible girl.  You work so hard in the gym and you have so much courage.  Shawn, how do you feel when you go into competition when there are so many people?  when you are in your competition how do you use your faith to focus?  You are my favorite gymnast of all!

Jasmine McDowell
Level 5 gymnast who read your book
6/19/2012 2:41:08 PM
Daniel Mitchell United States
Daniel Mitchell
Shawn,

I heard you are from the Quad Cities...that's awesome!  I'm living in the QC this summer working for John Deere as an intern.  Just wondered if you wanted to have a chat over dinner sometime if you're in town Smile

In Christ,
Daniel Mitchell
6/19/2012 2:46:45 PM
Jasmine McDowell United States
Jasmine McDowell
Shawn,
I am nine years old.  I forgot to tell you this.  I live in Utah and would love to meet you!  I have won a lot of medals and want to go to the Olympics like you!
Jasmine McDowell
6/19/2012 2:53:22 PM
reagan daniell United States
reagan daniell
i am 10 years old and 2 years ago i broke both arms doing a round off back handsping. it was really hard for me to say that i could not do gymnastics anymore and i miss it so much. but i look up to you.
6/19/2012 3:02:46 PM
Brenton United States
Brenton
Shawn- you have accomplished some amazing things with your athletic abilities and I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to walk away from the thing you love the most, but it has also got to be exciting to see how god will use this change of course in your life. It's awesome to see you using your platform for god's glory. God bless and keep up the good work!
6/19/2012 3:25:10 PM
Jake Baughman United States
Jake Baughman
Shawn-my name is jake and i'm 11 years old.I'm a level 6 in gymnastics and i LOVE it. it was really hard to see that you couldn't go to the olympics this year.Frown But the most important thing is that you're a christian.im that twisty-flippy-turvy kind of guy also.i do it in my living room all the time now.SmileYOU'RE MY HERO SHAWN!!!! God bless you!Thanks! -Jake Smile
6/19/2012 3:28:45 PM
Penni United States
Penni
Shawn-

You are truely amazing! Your dedication to gymnastics, your infectious smile, and your awesome faith! You have all the ability in the world to make a doifference!
6/19/2012 4:33:18 PM
kendall raley United States
kendall raley
Shawn-
         the decision u had is hard and i know what u had to go through because i had to make a decision like that. i was playing soccer at school and i got kicked in the leg and my leg broke in half! well i had to deiced if i wanted to stop playing soccer for 9 months and stop running track. well my accident had showed me that i can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. u r my role model and i admire u for that.

6/19/2012 4:34:40 PM
kendall raley United States
kendall raley
where can i get your book i want to read it
6/19/2012 4:41:34 PM
Lori United States
Lori
Hi Shawn!

You are an amazing role model, gymnast, and person.  May God bless you for your courage, faith, and beautiful spirit!  I just ordered your first book and look forward to reading it.  Congratulations on all of your success, most of all for the person you are.  You are greatly admired.
God bless,
Your friend and fan---Lori Smile
6/19/2012 4:46:54 PM
Maddie United States
Maddie
Shawn its been my dream to be an olimpic gold meadlist in gymnastics, and even though I am ten,youve made me feel like I can score a 10a 10 and a 10 from the judges and a ten from God. I will always look up to you.
6/26/2012 1:34:22 PM
Lauren  United States
Lauren 
Hey Shawn! My sister is in San Jose right now at the gymnastics Olympic trials and I was just wondering if you had any words of encouragement and confidence boosters for her? Thanks. And your awesome! And a great role model. Please reply? Smile
6/29/2012 10:32:13 AM
Brynli Logue United States
Brynli Logue
wow so encoraging! Hi i'm Brynli,i'm ten years old and i'm a level six at usports gymnastics.i go twelve hours a week!i've recently noticed the majority of our gymnasts and coaches at our gym are christians.i was surprised one day when i came in and christian music was playing.it played all that evening.(more than four hours)!i'm urging my dad to get your new book on my kindle! i love book about christian athletes.i can relate so much to them.one i can relate to is wanting to go for gold in the olympics!,LIKE YOU! may god bless you in your retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!! with much admirent,Brynli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!