Nov 14 2011

Color it Rainbow

I don't know about you, but I am too comfortable in routine.  I joke that every day in my life is like the movie "Groundhog Day", sometimes if feels like life is stuck on repeat.  Breakfast, Work, Gym, Dinner, Homework Time, Bath Time, Bed Time, Repeat.

And when something gets in the way of that routine, I admit I do not respond well.  Over the weekend I was in a hurry to get my kids out the door, but my 5 year old daughter, Emily didn't care. She was coloring.  She doesn't just color things pink or purple, she colors them "rainbow".  That's a primary color to her.  I love that.

I stopped hurrying and let her finish her "rainbow" dress on the princess picture of the day.  As I watched her I thought, "why not color my life rainbow."  Instead of using the same color all the time of black and brown.  Try indigo and violet.   Take a different route to work.  Try new things.  Learn something new.

Get unstuck.  Wake up.  We get so stuck in our routine, our closed little world of work and church, and closet full of beige sweaters and black flats.  We're so busy trying to fill some kind of role, we're dying inside from boredom.  I lived that life of trying to be the perfect wife and stay at home mom.  I know.  Mine imploded, and then came the rainbow.

I don't know about you, but I want less beige, and more rainbow.  I'll be going through my closet tonight.

Tell me what new thing you want to do to get unstuck...

11/14/2011 8:14:40 AM
Denise United States
Denise
Our staff was having a chili cook-off and I don't make chili.  I decided I'd find a receipe and go for it.  My Chicken chili came in tied for 2nd out of 5.  My trying something new broke through my fear of failure!!!

Thanks for letting me share~ Denise
11/14/2011 8:20:00 AM
Katie United States
Katie
I love this! I'm on my way to law school... so often I'm too stressed and frazzled to enjoy life. But this is a beautiful way to look at life! I would love to branch out and paint my life "rainbow" by taking a spontaneous trip! I haven't been hiking in a while... Smile
11/14/2011 8:26:07 AM
lea ann United States
lea ann
I often have Groundhog Day (the movie) days/weeks!  And when those days happen, I tend to rely on neutrals - like lots of black. (which is okay - it's one of my "colors" as a Winter.... but it's still safe)

Today I decide to wear a purple cardigan and completely forgot it's a Packer Game Day (I live in Wisconsin) and I wore the color of the opposing team (Minnesota).  Oops!  Not the best day to have a Rainbow Day!
11/14/2011 8:31:01 AM
Katie United States
Katie
One Friday afternoon, I was in the grocery store. I had a really long hard week. So, while I was checking out I noticed a coloring book off to the side. I made a split decision to buy the coloring book. As I was checking out, the cashier smiled and asked if I had children. I laughed and answered, "No, I just felt like coloring." The look on her face was priceless. Here I was a twenty year old woman in a suit and heels buying a coloring book! I went home that night, invited my little sister over and we spend the night coloring and talking. So much fun!
11/15/2011 11:28:52 AM
Mindy United States
Mindy
Amanda, I absolutely love this.  I have been listening to KLove all morning while doing homework.  At 43 I have gone back to school to try to make a better life for me and my 4 four children.  I am a single mom who mentors other single moms.  However I am very stuck!!!The last 9 years have been the same.  I can't seem to get out of the pit.  In October my car died, we have been walking to church, but on the way home we have Sidewalk sermons, my children 17,17,9,7 share what they learned in S.S. and in church.  I love the song Lauras Song Blessing...one of these days, maybe I will get unstuck...God has a plan! Thank you for your words of encouragement..funny Free to be me is now playing!!We have an awesome God..Thank you.
11/16/2011 8:31:07 AM
Shannon United States
Shannon
Amanda,  Thank you so much for being an inspiration.  Displaying your life on air, as well as your testimony.  I believe the Lord puts trials in our lives so that we can later know how to minister to others.  I was just where you were a few months ago before remarrying.  I know about the beige, the routine, the panic.  I'm a mom to 6 year old triplets, and I would hyperventilate at the thought of change or breaking the routine, there is safety and comfort in beige.  Once I opened my heart up to the Lord, he gently showed me, and sometimes not so gently how change can be hard, but exciting and well worth it.  Stand tall, be strong in the Lord, cry on His shoulder, and you will be blessed beyond measure.  I'm still in awe of his wonderful blessings that came pouring down on me after the storm calmed.  Thank you Jesus for cleansing me and loving me more than I knew was possible or thought I deserved.  Amen.  God Bless rainbows......