Jan 30 2012

Character

They say it’s the hardest job you’ll ever have, raising up a child.  I seem to read constantly about ways to do it better.  This really hit me last night.

I was reading about a Psychologist’s suggestions on the Essential Character Traits for Kids.

Faith.. This is important because our immediate circumstances will not always be to our liking. Faith gives a person hope.

Integrity. A person with integrity is honest, straight-forward, and consistent, no matter the circumstances. A person with integrity is wholly devoted to his principals and beliefs

Poise. Poise is the ability to remain calm when things around us are falling apart.

Self-discipline. This is what will save them when we are not around. This is what will keep them out of a world of pain and trouble.

Endurance. Endurance is the ability to stick with it and not give up.  Teach them, quitters never win, but winners never quit.

Courage. We often think of courage as not being afraid, but real courage is being afraid and doing the right thing anyway.  Having the courage to stand up for what is right will serve them well.

It’s a great list, but also overwhelming to think about how to teach them all of these traits.

Then it hit me, your children will learn all of these things by watching you embody them.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

1/30/2012 8:59:54 AM
Rachel Skwortz United States
Rachel Skwortz
Hi Amanda!! That post really had me thinking! For one, I'm going to save it on my computer (copying and pasting into a word doc.). If I ever have kids when I grow up, I think I'm going to take a second look at that! You must have a hard time raising 3 kids UNDER 6!! Laughing Good luck and God bless!
~Rachel Skwortz
1/30/2012 9:45:57 AM
Bridget Lizana United States
Bridget Lizana
Wow, amazing. I heard you talking about this and went to look for it, before you had it posted.  I am so glad you made this available in your blog. Definitely good stuff!!!
Bridget Lizana
1/30/2012 11:19:57 AM
Denise Wolfer United States
Denise Wolfer
One thing I would add: life is about learning. Mistakes are not the end of the world, but often a new opportunity. React well to situations and circumstances because it's about the journey as much as the destination!
1/30/2012 11:27:51 AM
isabel United States
isabel
thank you for sharing. Like you, I am also a divorced mother of two girls (11.5 79.5.
Be strong in the Lord, remember our prosperity brings pleasure to him.
be blessed

Isabel
1/31/2012 8:14:55 AM
Rachel United States
Rachel
HI Amanda! I'm listening to K-LOVE right now, and that was awesome... What you just said! The grand canyon?? Great idea!
~Rachel
1/31/2012 8:19:40 AM
Diana United States
Diana
I am listening at work today on what would be my oldest son's 29th birthday. He went to Heaven 2 years ago. A bucket list for parenting should be # 1 goal to make sure your children are ready for Heaven. To know Jesus as their personal Saviour because you just never know when it may be their last chance or yours as a parent. Then to always give them your time when they ask. Many times my children would want to just sit and read or cuddle, and many times I did that. But there were also times I said honey mommy doesnt have time right now, later. Well o ne day "later" never came. So make the most of EVERY single opportunity you get.
1/31/2012 8:49:39 AM
Jim United States
Jim
  Raising kids never stops. I have 2 young men (24+27) that live 20 hours away now making a life for themselves. Our family fell apart when they were 3+6. I've never left them even being a part time Dad. We did all the stuff I did when I was young and I know how my parents felt when I moved away from them at 18. Talking and sharing, asking questions about their financial future, spiritual future and what beer they're going to make next are all on my list. Thanks for the "Character" blog. I've copied it and will keep it close during our phone calls.   Jim