Apr 24 2012

Does everyone deserve our forgiveness?

Of course we know God says he forgives all, but what does He expect from us.

Heard this story about Rennee.

About 10 years ago, her daughter was driving with a friend in Florida.  Megan was 20 at the time.

She got in a car accident.  It wasn’t her fault.  She was hit by Eric.  He was drunk.

Megan died.  Eric went to jail.

Her mother Renee, said when you get news like this that the wailing and crying that comes from the depths of your soul," "The pain is so horrible."  In my mind, she has a right to be mad at Eric.  She made it her life’s mission to prevent this happening to any other mother and daughter. So she started a foundation and traveled the country speaking out against drunk driving.  And she’s taking Eric, the one that killed her daughter while driving drunk, with her. She says their message against drunk driving is more powerful together.

Renee saysI could be angry, hateful and bitter," "But I didn’t want to live my life that way. There was no way I could move on and live a happy life without forgiving Eric."

Renee Napier, Mother Of Drunk-Driving Accident Victim Meagan Napier, Forgives DUI Killer Eric Smallridge. Huffington Post

4/24/2012 11:14:17 AM
Marie Van Gorder United States
Marie Van Gorder
Thank you for this message of hope. I wish that more people would be this forgiving.

Marie
4/24/2012 11:18:31 AM
Burt Bun United States
Burt Bun
Wow. How powerful. We all do things in life we regret, and wish we could do over. This video brought me to tears. When your actions takes the lives of innocent people, there is no going back. But to dedicate your life to trying to make it right is all you can do. They are gone. But Eric is alive. And he is touching more people because of his wrong then he may ever have touched without it. And for the family of the lost loved ones, there will be no greater lesson of forgiveness than this.
4/24/2012 11:39:35 AM
Lori Brooks United States
Lori Brooks
Sometimes forgivness is a very hard decision to make. But it is the only way to healing.
4/24/2012 11:39:45 AM
Kim United States
Kim
This is a good story, and what they say about forgiveness is true, but it's NOT about "deserving" anything... we did not deserve Christ's forgiveness; His sending His son to die for us had nothing to do with us being deserving of it... we don't deserve it, but His forgiveness is an act of incredible grace and mercy, and we are called to do the same with others. Please don't use the word "deserve" in relation to forgiveness. It's got nothing to do with what Christ calls us to do. I hate to think what we would get if we got what we "deserve" from God.
4/24/2012 6:08:21 PM
Lia United States
Lia
I was listening today and I was truly touched by this woman's story.  She is an inspiration to many.  I did want to comment on what you said Amanda.  I know we want to feel as though we have the right to judge or to be unforgiving but Jesus tells us that we do not.  His Word says that we must forgive; Matthew 18:21-22.  And judgment is not our call; that too is God's call: Matthew 7:1-2.  It is one of the most difficult things we will do in our lives is to forgive and judge someone their transgressions.  We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  No sin is greater than another.  So I truly do admire this woman.  She is a wonderful example of true Christianity.
4/25/2012 12:41:18 PM
Veronica United States
Veronica
We are never more like God than when we lovingly forgive...