Jan 28 2010

Married 81 years - what's their secret?

Vern & Verbal Isenhower have been married 81 years.  So what's their secret to such a long marriage?  We attempted to find out when we tracked down this Kansas couple.  Click the link below to HEAR the very loud conversation ...

Vern & Verbal

1/28/2010 7:59:56 AM
Nicole Phillips United States
Nicole Phillips
Hi Lisa and Eric,
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine is what the scripture says, and I just would like you to know that I have not laughed as hard as I did this morning in a long time.This was due to your conversation with the elderly couple.  I could just picture you screaming at the microphone.  Sorry that it was at your expense but I laughed all the way to work.  It made my day. Finally when I got over the conversation, a guy called in telling about his wife answering you on the radio that she had been married for 23 years. God is good.  Keep up the good work and God bless you.
1/28/2010 8:02:53 AM
Chris Rieger United States
Chris Rieger
I was howling listening to you trying to interview the couple who has been married 81years.  Thanks for the laughs.  How cute they were though!
1/28/2010 8:03:52 AM
Kevin United States
Kevin
Oh my goodness!  I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.  Thats great - 81 years.  I look forward to that day.  Lisa and Eric - thank you for perking up my morning.  You won't forget that interview...
1/28/2010 8:07:28 AM
Kelsey Taylor United States
Kelsey Taylor
Hi Lisa & Eric,
Boy...you two had me in stitches with that interview! Especially Lisa, who was trying desperately to have her voice heard...Now I've had my chuckle for the morning! Smile
Wishing you both an awesome day!!
Take good care...
~Kelsey~
1/28/2010 8:22:56 AM
Yvonne United States
Yvonne
I just heard the interview with the elderly couple and it was absolutely PRECIOUS!!! They are truly an inspiration to me. GOD bless them and you for telling such a sweet story. I actually had tears in my eyes..from crying about how sweet it was and from laughing at how the whole interview went down.

Either way it brought a smile to my face and brightened my day!
1/28/2010 8:25:24 AM
shari United States
shari
Just listened to your call to these two sweet people.. Im still smiling.. Laughing So endearing are our elderly! I have been a CNA for years working with the elderly and I just love them. They have so much wisdom to offer.very cool you called them.. BUT do you still have a voice? lol
1/28/2010 8:30:29 AM
shelley United States
shelley
Dearest Lisa,
Thank you both for attempting to find out how this couple have stayed married for 81 years!  Lisa, you may find that when talking to people that are hard of hearing, it is best to speak slow and lower your voice.  I am glad others found your actions funny and it lifted their day and I know you ment nothing harmful by this, but for some elderly and others, is considered disrespectful or condesending to scream louder and laugh in order to be heard.  I am not sure this couple found their lack of hearing quite as funny as you guys did.
Thanks for all K-love does for people.
Shelley
1/28/2010 8:33:02 AM
Pam United States
Pam
Lisa, you crack me up!  I was laughing so hard tears were pouring down my face!  Thank you God, for the ability to laugh... I don't know how you guys kept your composure during the interview.

Happiness is.....
1/28/2010 8:51:16 AM
Yvonne United States
Yvonne
I agree with Shelley's post...I work with older adults and have learned when addressing a hard-of-hearing person, speak slower and lower your voice instad of yelling.  This couple's marriage is remarkable...we owe them the utmost respect.
1/28/2010 8:56:29 AM
Anna United States
Anna
That was awesome to hear that couple on the radio this morning, my prayer is for my husband and I to be married a longggg time, we have 31 yrs together so far.
1/28/2010 9:17:20 AM
Wendy United States
Wendy
I laughed so hard, brought me to tears.. but I was thinking of my grandparents who celebrated their 80th this past year.  How precious life and marriage can be.  I went into further tears with the song that was played after speaking with them, what is the name of that song. So beautiful!!
1/28/2010 9:36:56 AM
Kimberly United States
Kimberly
I have known this couple for years and they truly are an inspiration to me.  Something that you should know is that Vern only came to the Lord a few years ago.   He is a reminder to our family that we should NEVER stop praying because it is NEVER too late.   Thank you for sharing their story.  Smile
1/28/2010 10:21:56 AM
Tetty United States
Tetty
That was an awesome interview, I was cracking up during the whole interview. It just touched my heart when the husband said "we have to put up a lot to get along". Marriage is a hard work but it's rewarding. I so love seeing old couples walking down the street hand in hand.
I think Lisa need to drink hot tea with honey to recover her voice. Thank you guys..God bless you.
1/28/2010 11:55:07 AM
Sheila United States
Sheila
I don't blame him for not being able to hear you.  I had my volume turned up as loud as it could go and I could barely even tell that you were talking in some spots.  The other spots were completely silent.  Was this supposed to show us what the conversation might have sounded like to him?
1/28/2010 12:13:12 PM
James D. United States
James  D.
I have a word I would like everyone to consider for 2010.  My word for 2009 was, "wisdom", (from the book of Proverbs). For this year, 2010, my word is "discernment", from the book of 1st Kings, chapter 3.  I hope this will help all of our listeners out there. I believe God is going to help me with this. I pray that He will.

Thanks for all you have done for me GOD!!!
1/28/2010 12:34:26 PM
Kacey United States
Kacey
WOW! Thank you, Jesus! This world needs more people like this couple to "tough it out". I thank Jesus that I am only 3 years (Feb.10) married-and I do mean THANK JESUS! I don't think if my hubby and I were saved, we just might not make it. When your friends and family says it's in the first 5 years of marrage that you know whether you'll stand, but when we rely on God it doesn't matter what all ya'll say-love ya anyway!
1/28/2010 1:11:37 PM
gaby United States
gaby
hey lisa and eric just wanted to tell that God has really given you grace
I just love hearing you in the mornings
May God bless you for all that you do
1/28/2010 1:15:42 PM
Annamarie United States
Annamarie
I did find the interview funny, and It wasn't at the older couples expense. It was just funny. I could totally see my dad saying the same thing as the older gentleman did, and not having a clue as to who was calling him. My mom and dad passed 15 yrs ago they would be 75 and 83 this year, they would not have been offended and I don't think this couple was either. Maybe K-love could send them a nice gift and let them know that no harm was meant. Have a great day, and God bless you!
1/28/2010 1:25:26 PM
Christine United States
Christine
o man, I was crying and laughing so hard when you played this.  Thank you for sharing such a HILARIOUS and sweet conversation.  Keep up the good work!
1/28/2010 1:46:36 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Loved, loved, loved the interview this morning.  I have such a wonderful time listening and praising God with the two of you in the morning.  I have a 30 mile commute and it goes by so fast.  However, I did not want to get out of my car because I was laughing so hard, priceless!

Love and Blessings to you both and to this adorable couple!

Cindy
1/28/2010 2:31:17 PM
Sharon Rogers United States
Sharon Rogers
I've got to say when I heard Lisa suggest that you guys "find" that couple, I knew what was coming . . . with the raising of the voices, ha, ha!  My dad is 71 and I have this ordeal everytime i go home!
1/28/2010 6:28:32 PM
Charity United States
Charity
We listened to this at work and were literally laying on our desks laughing with tears coming out!!

You bless my every morning!!
1/28/2010 7:33:57 PM
Bob Hood United States
Bob Hood
I was wondering if you guys could please pray for my family.We are all saved and our 7 yr old son Zachary loves God and the elders in our church see him as speaking the word of God someday.We have moved home to my mother in-laws home this is very hard on all of us but Zachary really feels it the most. Sometimes the tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife.We have been praying for God to open a door for us so we can get good employment to get our own home and get back to our lives.Asking for prayer never hurt anyone and we need prayer for God to move on our lives. Zachary needs prayer to keep up his good work in school and be the follower that he is But the uprooting from his home to grandmas house has been hard on him. So please pray that we may soon be able to get out on our own as soon as possible. Also Zachary got his first 9 wk report card and his lowest grad was 98 A even with all that is going on in our lives.  we work so hard so he will continue to good in school he prays for people he lays hand on people and prays for them. He is just a AWSOME little boy you can see and feel the love of God in him. So in closing we are asking for him to continue to be a leader in school and with his friends not a follower. Let him continue to work for God the rest of his life.Gog is good all the time. Thank you for your time and your prayers the Hood family
1/29/2010 4:35:08 AM
Jenn United States
Jenn
I heard you replay part of the phone call this morning (Friday) and it made my morning.  That was hilarious. What an amazing accomplishment this couple has achieved!  It gives my young single heart hope for marriage.

I also love that after the clip from the interview you play - requested by Eric - Live Out LOUD! Thanks for making my morning!
1/29/2010 7:45:22 AM
Leann United States
Leann
Oh my goodness! I listened to this while at work and broke out in snorting laughter so much so that my supervisor had to ask if I was alright! This is so sweet. How outstanding that they've been married for 81 years. My husband and I struggle day to day just to make it through one more year. This did my heart some good. Thanks for sharing!
1/29/2010 12:50:34 PM
Virginia United States
Virginia
Oh my gosh.  THIS IS SO FUNNY!
1/29/2010 7:45:50 PM
Liz United States
Liz
I am rolling on the floor laughing! Lisa, you were killing me! I am still laughing because of it! I can't wait to let my husband hear it! God bless!
2/12/2010 8:49:09 AM
Devon Abler United States
Devon Abler
This is the BEST!!  I can just see Lisa hollering into the microphone...
2/17/2010 2:52:27 PM
Shawn Kaveney United States
Shawn Kaveney
Great site, where did you come up with the info in this summary? Im happy I found it though, ill be checking back soon to see what other articles you have.
2/18/2010 10:23:29 AM
Jenifer Koestner United States
Jenifer Koestner
I'm glad I discovered this blog site, I couldnt locate any information on this topic prior to. I also manage a site and in case you are ever serious in doing a bit of guest writing for me you should feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my site. Please stop by and leave a comment sometime!
2/18/2010 9:14:47 PM
Pearline Maschino United States
Pearline Maschino
This is a excellent post, but I was wondering how do I suscribe to the RSS feed?
2/19/2010 9:01:20 AM