Jan 17 2011

Made to Crave - Day 11

Day 11: It’s Not Fair!

Based on Chapter 10 of Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst

Thought for the Day: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.… That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)

A huge piece of delicious looking cake was delivered to our table. It was my favorite … it was our anniversary … and it was free! But I was at the beginning of my healthy eating adventure, which excluded sugary confections. So I graciously offered it to my husband. But inside a different dialogue was playing in my mind, “It’s not fair!”

I think this is one of the biggest tricks Satan plays to get us to give in to temptation. Saying “It’s not fair!” has caused many a girl to toss aside what she knows is right for the temporary thrill of whatever it is that does seem fair. We complain, “It’s not fair that I gain weight so easily when everyone else seems to eat whatever they want and stay trim.”

Now, realize that the dessert itself is not the problem. But if one piece of dessert leads to two and that leads to other compromises, which leads to wrecking our whole healthy eating plan, then the downward spiral reflects how temptation traps us in so many areas of life. I’ve experienced this vicious cycle myself, and I’m here to give you hope that it is possible to conquer it.

My pity party was a clue that I was relying on my own strength—a strength that has failed me before and will fail me again. So, when justifications swirl in my mind—“It’s a special day … with a special person … what’s the harm in sampling?”—I know I have to grab hold of God’s strength. The only way I’ve found to do that is to invite His power into the situation by mentally reciting truths such as, “I’m more than a conqueror,” “With God all things are possible,” or “Let the peace of God reign in your heart.”

This battle reminds me of the time I counseled a dating couple about setting boundaries in their physical relationship. They were looking forward to the best that marital sex had to offer, but struggled with maintaining purity in the face of immediate and temporary passion. They were tempted with the thought, “It’s not fair that we can’t have sex before we’re married when we’re so in love. Everyone else does.” My advice to them was to think beyond the moment, to say out loud, “This feels good now, but how will I feel about this in the morning? The truth is, compromising my commitments for the sake of physical pleasure is not God’s best for me.”

The same advice powerfully applies to our area of struggle. As we recite truth, God’s power can fill the gap of our weakness. I don’t know what you might be struggling with today, but I can assure you that God is just and fair. There is a good reason why we must face our temptations. The struggle to say “no” may be painful in the moment, but the process is working out something magnificent within us.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/17/2011 4:32:20 AM
Denise Romo United States
Denise Romo
Thank you for these morsels of truth that fill me up!
There was a time when I was saying "No" to sweets and snacks.
After consistently doing that, it became easier..or I grew stronger.
The discipline of seeing the emptiness of my cravings gave me a freedom.
When you said to speak out the Word when tempted reminded me of the example Jesus gave us when He was in the desert. The first temptation was food!
1/17/2011 12:28:44 PM
Serena United States
Serena
Thank you for this.
I am so grateful to God that He created words to comfort us, teach us and give us His Truth.
God is Awesome!
1/17/2011 8:01:04 PM
Cassie United States
Cassie
I feel so far away from having self-control. I wish I could so easily say no. I think it's a good idea to "invite" God into this struggle of mine to help me. Those inspirational sayings are also a great idea and I plan to ask God to join me in this battle with insecurity and eating issues. Thank you.
1/17/2011 8:06:16 PM
Cassie United States
Cassie
I wanted to tell you all how much I appreciate your morning show. I listen every morning on my way to my destination and I feel so inspired by all that you have to say. To be such a minority amongst a large population of mormons is difficult, but to hear that there is a Christian radio station on in such a dense population is so inspiring. I know that there are more Christians out there in Utah listening. My prayer is that one day they will also be inspired by God's truth and by Klove. Thank you!
1/17/2011 8:07:40 PM
Beulah United States
Beulah
I have been doing really good.  Well, I don't like anything else anymore.  I "crave" this music now.  Anyway, the devil is working where I do.  Our radios were all taken away and not too bad.  They put them back out today and I am so disappointed in management.  I have no say so in what is on the radio.  That's okay I guess.  I put in some ear plugs and went on about my day.  God bless!  I love your show.
1/26/2011 7:24:18 AM
Danny Hinton United States
Danny Hinton
I heard your topic this morning and had to share. I have spent several years very overweight.  Looking back on my journey of weightloss a very special note made a difference. About 6 months into my excercise program, I hit a plateau and could not lose a pound. I was strictly dieting and excercising like i was training to be in the olympics but for one reason or another the weight wouldn't come off. Depressed and frustrated I reluctantly made my way to the scales to weigh in before I left the gym as I always do. I hadn't lost a pound that day but on shelf infront of me as i stood on the scales was a 3 x 5 index card that read:

This scale measures weight; not self worth - Jesus

Made all the difference in the world. He who began that good work in me has carried it on to completion and I now weigh 85 pounds less and have never felt better!  Thanks K-love for all you do. You are the soundtrack to my day!

Danny- (Kentucky)
3/11/2011 2:27:57 AM
Kimmy United States
Kimmy
I had a really hard time dealing with my weight for a long time. I'm a Christian and I knew that He still loved me, but I had trouble loving myself. I felt undeserving, but I transformed that into motivation. With a little help from a supplement I picked up from this review website (http://acaiberrycleanse1.com) I was able to drop 15 pounds and learned to love myself again - not for vanity but for accomplishing the goal I had set with faith in Him.