Jan 26 2011

Made to Crave - Day 18

Day 18: I’m Not Defined by the Numbers

Based on Chapter 7 of Made to Crave

Thought for the Day: “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)

I was in an exercise class one day when the gal next to me leaned over and shared concerns about her sister’s increasing weight. I was half listening and half straining to lift my aching legs when she quipped, “I mean, my sister now weighs like 150 pounds!” I didn’t know whether to laugh out loud or keep silent, because the number that horrified her was the exact number I saw that very morning on my scale!

However, I found great joy when I realized that my workout buddy’s statement didn’t rattle me.

It would have just a few years ago. It would have sent me on a tailspin full of crash diets and unrealistic expectations. However, there I was, at peace, in the midst of her harsh statement. I wasn’t at my goal weight yet. But I was in the process of investing wisely in my health and spiritual growth. I had been diligently filling my mind with God’s truths. These principles now protected me from thoughts of condemnation, jealousy, and defeat. This is what the apostle Paul meant when he said in 2 Corinthians 10:5:

When we’re familiar with God’s truth, we can literally challenge any comment with the questions, “Is it true? Is it beneficial? Is it necessary?” If the answer is no, then we don’t open the door of our hearts. We make the choice to walk away from the comment and all the negative thoughts it could harvest if we listened to it.

My classmate’s shock at her sister’s weight wasn’t beneficial to me. Therefore, I didn’t have to internalize her comment. I could leave it on the gym floor and walk away. That statement didn’t belong to me. I had a choice to make. I could feed that comment and let it crush my identity. Or, I could see it as a careless remark and move on with my day.

Standing in the gym, I desperately wanted to yell out three glorious words, “I am free!” In that moment, I had a small moment of victory over an identity disorder that I’d battled for a long time. I was no longer defined by a number on the scale, because my weight loss goal was peace. As we move through our healthy eating journey, remember that the goal shouldn’t just be a smaller measurement, but a larger measure of peace.

For more information about Lysa TerKeurst and her book Made to Crave, please visit: www.MadetoCrave.org

1/26/2011 4:20:23 AM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Lisa & Eric,

I'm a web designer and I tried calling the KLove comment line, 1-800-900-1300, and didn't get an answer but anyways, Lisa, I heard you on the radio this morning about how Eric usually puts up the blog and since he isn't here this morning, you had to and how you were having trouble with HTML. I just wanted to tell you that the blog looks great! It looks like you've been doing the blog all along, like a pro!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

Jennifer Wesselman
1/26/2011 4:22:00 AM
Julie United States
Julie
I heard this story this morning on my way into work and it really struck a cord with me. I have been praying so hard to keep myself from thinking about my weight and the number. Knowing that God has made me in his image and this is how I am to be. Thinking of Him and not the number. Or worrying what others are thinking when they see me walk by.
I use to be a skinny 120lbs 30 years ago. Then I was blessed with 3 wonderful boys who are now grown with families of their own. Struggling to get the weight off has always been an issue for me. I would get the weight off and then it would fall back on again.
I have come to realize that it doesn't matter what the scale says but what I think of myself. Because God has made me the way I am for a reason and I can't change that. Accepting me for me is what God has done. He made me and I am happy with that. I am in his image and he loves me the way I am.
So thank you for this blog. Knowing that I am not defined by the numbers. Not dwelling on the numbers but on my Lord is so much more refreshing and energizing.
Julie
1/26/2011 4:36:10 AM
moriah Gentry Thailand
moriah Gentry
it is really hard for me to except who I am with all the things and people around me yalling you have to be skinny! it's the only way to be! but God really isn't that shallow to look at the outside, but he actualy takes the time to get to know me for who I am on the inside. me and my family were talking about this at the dinner table tonight. when we get to heaven everyone is going to be turned "inside out" in a way. no one is going to care what size your body is or what color hair you have, we are all going to see people for the wonderful creations each of us were made to be. I juts got to keep telling myself that no matter how hard it is. today being the only white girl in my grade was really hard for me, I have a totally different bady build than the aisians I go to school with and even the other missionary kids look differnt than me. last month I tried somthing I never thought I would try beacuse of this lie that I wasn't pretty if I wasn't skinny gonging around in my head. I fell that deap into the lies to go as far as I did. If only I would have listened to the loving voise that was always tapping at the back of my mind. but I think God has tought me enough from that to start working through those lies now. thank God!
1/26/2011 6:37:27 AM
Lindsay Rose United States
Lindsay Rose
I struggled with this for awhile, I would go shopping and i would pick things that i thought would fit and when they didnt (since they were not my size) i was depressed...i would get real quite which for me is not normal...lol Then i was watching what not to wear and one of the people said you have to dress the body that you have not the body you wish you had...that struck with me, also not living my your number...especially women...with hormones and everything that we go through our numbers change so much...So it changed my thinking...i pick what fits me and when it fits me i smile, and i like the size i am and how i look...some days are hard wishing i was thinner, but i am no longer depressed about it. I smile in thinking that He made me this way...
1/26/2011 6:44:05 AM
Cindy United States
Cindy
This was very powerful for me. Even though I'm almost 55 years old, I still internalize real (and imagined) hurts at an alarming rate! This brought into focus that I really can CHOOSE to leave certain statements "on the gym floor", so to speak. However, sometime when I think I've done that, the enemy whispers the phrase back to me and I find myself obsessing over it, claiming aloud that it doesn't bother me. But all the while, I am wrapping the chains of bondage tighter and tighter around me as I drag the weight of the hurt around with me for years! God will use this revelation in my life! Thank you and BLESSINGS!
1/26/2011 7:16:58 AM
Nona1961 Canada
Nona1961
This is wonderful.  It goes along with the "One Word" on KLOVE.  My word is "Identity".  I have struggled for years as to who I was and what I've become. What you have, what you do, where you live, how big or small you are doesn't have any bearing on "who" you are.  It's what's in your heart that counts.  You are right!  I'm not a number and therefore, I shouldn't be guaged by numbers.  I'm made in God's image and He will be my judge.  I just have to find the truth in that.
Thanks for that posting.  I've enjoyed it.
1/26/2011 7:18:24 AM
Beth Anne United States
Beth Anne
Lisa,

Your last caller Rebeca just touched me BIG time! I also turned 40 today, and have had a hard time with it, feeling very worthless to my husband who is a couple years younger. Thank you for your commment that I am not defined by a number. I will try to remember that.

Love,
Beth Anne
1/26/2011 7:27:01 AM
April McKeithan United States
April McKeithan
Since I am in my early 20’s I feel like body image and weight are always beings pushed in my face. While I have never been extremely overweight, I have always struggled with my body and my “number”. My weight was always more than all of the other girls. This past year I got married, & just as my mom joked about, my “number” increased quite a bit. This made me so depressed. I was so happy with my life, but not happy with myself. After Christmas I found myself obsessing with getting skinny. My husband and I were talking one night after super and I told him how much weight I set out to loose. His eyes got huge and he said “No Way! That’s too much!” This really caught me off guard. Didn’t every guy want the super skinny wife? After talking with him several times, in addition to listening to K-Love I understand now that it doesn’t matter what my scale says every morning, but rather how I feel. And if I was happy, then he was happy. I decided to go ahead with my workout, but my goals are completely different! I found a workout program that was not about weight at all. Now I am all about getting healthy, no matter what the scale says at the end of the day!

It is such a blessing to be able to listen to such an uplifting and encouraging program! No matter what my issues or problems that day, I can turn on K-Love and find guidance…God Bless you all!
1/26/2011 7:27:52 AM
Danny Hinton United States
Danny Hinton
I heard your topic this morning and had to share. I have spent several years very overweight.  Looking back on my journey of weightloss a very special note made a difference. About 6 months into my excercise program, I hit a plateau and could not lose a pound. I was strictly dieting and excercising like i was training to be in the olympics but for one reason or another the weight wouldn't come off. Depressed and frustrated I reluctantly made my way to the scales to weigh in before I left the gym as I always do. I hadn't lost a pound that day but on shelf infront of me as i stood on the scales was a 3 x 5 index card that read:

This scale measures weight; not self worth - Jesus

Made all the difference in the world. He who began that good work in me has carried it on to completion and I now weigh 85 pounds less and have never felt better!  Thanks K-love for all you do. You are the soundtrack to my day!

Danny- (Kentucky)
1/26/2011 9:16:33 AM
Megan United States
Megan
I heard this on my way to work this morning and it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear.  My weight is on my mind every minute of every day and I fight a constant battle with self esteem.  Hearing these encouraging words was such a blessing.  Thank you for encouraging me to turn my mind to God instead of a number on a scale.
1/26/2011 11:57:31 AM
Linda Rushing United States
Linda Rushing
Thank you so very much for this. My weight is always a stumbling block for me. I get so easily discouraged by the thin people around me. You would think that it would empower me but it just makes me feel like I'm a failure.  God's word says the opposite is true. That I am Gods child and worth far more than anything. From this day forward, I will bring each statement weather it be from inward or outward and capture it, examine it and move forward with my goals.  Thank you for bringing it home to me.  God Bless you
1/26/2011 2:37:20 PM
Amanda United States
Amanda
In sales, numbers are a huge part of your day, week, month, and year. Thank you for the reminder that we are worth more than a dollar sign.
1/26/2011 6:58:11 PM
Mark F. Pineda United States
Mark F. Pineda
Hello Lisa & Eric, my comment is apart from todays segment. I dont consider myself a sport fanatic but I listen to you and Eric each morning so I get to hear whats going on with sports for "dummies, God bless you, no offence."
         Boy, I know that Eric was trying to be a big boy and be strong on the defeatment of the bears, but it doesnt hit you rigth oway, it takes time and when it does hit, it feels like how Eric has been feeling sick. Its o.k buddy when you get up you will be stronger thats how we learn to overcome our weaknesses. The harder you fall the stronger you will become as long as you see and know that there will be another day:>). Hope you feel better soon and may our Lord restore your body with lots of health for you and all our k-love brothers and sisters. My wife and I love you all and thank you for allowing yourselves to be Gods instruments in the mist of all this darkness. Jesus loves us all amen. Bless it be His name forever.
1/27/2011 9:46:42 AM
Audrey United States
Audrey
WOW! I couldn't relate more. That is sooo good for me. I'm struggling to try and loose weight for only the right resaons! Such as to honor God and be healthy. In the past I've always only done it to BE skinny, of "thin enough". UGH! I've very much enjoyed and have been blessed by this blog enormously!! Thank you Thank you! Audrey
1/29/2011 10:26:26 AM
Becky United States
Becky
You want to know what my word for the year is...  I have thought about it for a couple weeks now and prayed on the word.  My word for the year is HELD.  As in Natalie Grant's song which I love so much.  But in my own words:  What it is to be held in His arms and to feel His presence and His love surround me like a warm, cuddly blanket.  What it is to be held in His arms and to feel secure and know that I am loved.  To be held in His arms, I know I will survive.  What it is to be held in His arms and know that even if I fall, He will be there to pick me up and craddle me in His loving embrace.  So my word for the year is HELD.  Thank you.
2/11/2011 4:41:34 AM
number 4 United States
number 4
3/2/2011 12:27:56 PM
veronica United States
veronica
I am so glad my daughter sent me a couple of these. i have found through the scriptures and a wonderful woman Ann Boroch who wrote the book Candida "The Cure". opened my eyes to the body and how amazing God made us to eat the right foods and keep our minds focused on Him and scripture and not on the world it all falls into place. The body is an amazing machine and we need to find what makes us healthy. listen to your body and the holy spirit will direct you. yeast and fungus hinder our body to get rid of and help our body burn the fat. it bogs us down and litterly makes us sick over time. read both of these wonderfull womens journeys. Amen. Smile