Mar 31 2011

Towns That Come Together For A Purpose

Inspired by the town of Connersville, Indiana, rallying around the family of Butler basketball star Matt Howard to send them to the Final Four in Houston ... we started thinking about towns that come together for a purpose.  Like the town of Washington, Illinois that came together to make Christmas happen for a little boy's family.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/31/2011 5:28:45 AM
Sherrie United States
Sherrie
     Matt Howard & Butler played in New Orleans last Saturday, celebrated their win and where was Matt Sunday morning?  In the same seat he sits in every Sunday at E91st St!  THAT says so much about his heart!  May God continue to show Matt and the Bulldogs his favor!

Additionally, Heritage Christian has alum Kelly Faris, who plays for UCONN in the women's Final Four--right here in Indy!!  Her photos are in today's Indy Star.  May God be also with Kelly and her team, too!

GO GOD!
3/31/2011 5:49:32 AM
Christie Kinchen United States
Christie Kinchen
I was just listening to this story and song and it gave me hope for our country.  I know many people, including me, have thought that the United States is soon headed for destruction because of the increasing moral decline of the people.  This story stirred up the thought in me about Abraham asking the Lord if He would still destroy Sodom and Gomorrah if there were just 10 righteous people living there in Genesis 18.  The Lord said he spare the city if there were 10 righteous people, but there ended up being only one, Lot.  After listening to how whole cities have rallied around hurting or needy families here in the United States, I believe there are still MANY righteous people here and that if we ask, God will protect our country.  So, right then I prayed to the Lord asking for Him to keep protecting the United States because there is still many Christians here.  If He would have spared Sodom and Gomorrah for 10 people, I have hope that He will spare and keep the United States as well!
3/31/2011 5:55:35 AM
Clayton United States
Clayton
I live in small farming community just outside San Angelo in west Texas.  This past summer,Jason, a 12 year old boy was helping his father with the farming when he was attacked by a swarm of bees.  After the initial attack Jason jumped from the tractor to try to get away.  Unfortunately Jason was not able to get away and did not survive.  It was Jason's dream to see a little league baseball game be played under lights at the little league park by the land which he farmed.  The small community of around 2,000 rallied around Jason's family.  With donations from the community and a large donation from a light company this past month Jason's dream came true.  The first game ever to be played under the lights was dedicated to Jason and his family.  In true Jason fashion there was a fly over, not from fighter jets or anything like that but from a crop duster.  Jason may have not been able to watch the game from the bleachers like he had hoped, but I have no doubt that Jason was watching the game from the seat on his tractor with a great big smile on his face.

The following are links to the story. www.gosanangelo.com/.../

www.gosanangelo.com/.../
3/31/2011 6:12:19 AM
Regina Collier United States
Regina Collier
Trey Hindman is a 3 year old boy in my community.  He was born with the same heart condition as Matt Hammitt's little Bowen.  In January Trey's family was told he needed a heart transplant.  Our community rallied around him & began having benefits to raise money for the family.  I don't know how much was raised in total but one event, an auction, raised over $25,000.  Trey had his transplant on Feb. 18 & is now out of the hospital doing great.  He is so happy to be able to play outside in the dirt with his monster trucks.
Sadly though, on Feb 23 Trey's aunt died of a brain anuerism while on vacation in Hawaii.  The family donated her organs & someone in Hawaii is alive today because they received her heart.
3/31/2011 7:16:57 AM
Laura United States
Laura
Tonight my town is coming together for a good cause! A best friend of mine has a brother who is battling Leukemia right now. Our church has rallied behind him and his family as he goes in for treatments and struggles with the difficulties of the illness. He leaves home in a few days to go to Mayo clinic for months for transplants. However, tonight, his high school is holding a graduation ceremony just for him at the school, since he will miss the main ceremony in May. The ceremony will mean a lot to him and his family especially since he had to finish up his schoolwork early while also fighting against Leukemia.
3/31/2011 8:02:15 AM
Jessica United States
Jessica
Lisa & Eric,
I just wanted to say thank you for being on the radio.  I know that God has put you there.  I am a single mother of 4 kids and as a profession I do bookkeeping and taxes.  With it being the end of the tax season I find that I ship my kids off to my friends houses for spring break and the weekends.  I also get a friend to come and stay with me for a month because I am never home.  I work for family and I on the average at this point am working from 8am to about 1am.  Most mornings I wonder why I do it and if God even knows what I go through.  Everytime there is doubt in my heart I hear just the right song on the radio.  So thank you for being there.  My kids all love listening to you in the morning on their way to school.
3/31/2011 12:48:21 PM
Ryan and Amanda Hignite United States
Ryan and Amanda Hignite
We are from Connersville, Indiana- where Matt Howard is from. Currently, we live in North Carolina. I just wanted to say that this story was very touching to our hearts. The town of Connersville has gone through so much turmoil over the past years. Connersville is a manufacturing town and, over the past few years, most of the manufacturing plants have been shut down, causing a high amount of unemployment and problems for the people in the town.  Matt Howard brings hope and happiness to this town- which is something they haven't had in a very long time. Matt's story is just another way that God has been able to touch so many people who are going through a rough time. There are so many who are barely surving financially in that town, but yet, God has touched their hearts to help others in need. I love it that the town is rallying for Matt's family.