Apr 30 2012

Let's meet Akou!

You can change a life…really! I’ve heard it said before and today I saw it first-hand. It was our first full day on the Africa Mercy and early in the morning we went to the eye screening. While we were waiting, I got to know Akou and her mom, Ameze. Akou is six months old and has cataracts in both eyes; she can’t see.

They will be removed tomorrow.

Because of her surgery in the morning, Akou and her mom are staying overnight on the ship. Before I went to bed, I wanted to say good-night and pray with them. When I got to their room, Ameze starting digging through her bag.  Minutes later, she handed me a bracelet her daughter had been wearing earlier. It was a gift for me. Ameze knows very little English but I still asked her why.

She just hugged me…and her hug answered my question.

5/1/2012 5:53:46 AM
Spencer United States
Spencer
Congradulations! Its wonderful too see God use K-Love to change lives everyday. God Bless!
5/1/2012 6:22:49 AM
Fabian United States
Fabian
That's just great! What a change in life for the child Smile
God Bless!
5/1/2012 8:33:32 AM
Rose Dernoncourt United States
Rose Dernoncourt
I spent 10 years with Mercy Ships - a lot of it in West Africa, and yes where Amy & the team are right now in Togo! I'm so blessed to hear the stories and to see Mercy Ships becoming more widely known to the Christian world. God is doing an amazing work through them. So many blessings!
5/1/2012 6:31:21 PM
Gaby United States
Gaby
Philippians 2:13
"..for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."

I miss waking up to you in the morning but am so happy that you are being used as His vehicle in yet another fashion.  May God continue with you in this amazing journey.
5/3/2012 11:33:27 PM
R.J. United States
R.J.
Will she ever be able to see with her eyes again?
5/4/2012 5:17:10 AM
Gail United States
Gail
Reading this brings tears to my eyes and puts so many things into perspective for me.  I wish I were a doctor who could do something this wonderful for hurting people in the world.  This is what being a Christian is all about.