Mar 30 2010

The Return of Laverne and Shirley!

Word has it they are working on a movie version of the '70's TV show, "Laverne and Shirley." They are casting Jennifer Garner and Jessica Biel in the lead roles. Odd casting? Who would you cast as Laverne and Shirley?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (40) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

3/24/2010 1:16:08 PM
Barbara Koutny United States
Barbara Koutny
As far as Laverne and Shirley goes, the only one's I see doing it justice would be Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Funny should be thier middle names and that's what you'd have to be to be Laverne and Shirley. I watched EVERY episode!!!
3/24/2010 1:16:20 PM
Jwana United States
Jwana
I would cast Susan Surandon and Geena Davis.  They were great as Thelma and Louise
3/24/2010 1:16:48 PM
Monica United States
Monica
I would say Kirsten dunst and Anne Hathaway
3/24/2010 1:18:58 PM
Barbara Koutny United States
Barbara Koutny
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler!! No one else could do it justice like these two!
3/24/2010 1:20:53 PM
Beth Allen United States
Beth Allen
I would cast Lauren Graham and Drew Barrymore.  I think they have more of knack for comedy than Jessica Biel and Jennifer Garner.
3/24/2010 1:25:02 PM
Tallie McClary United States
Tallie McClary
Tina Faye and Julia Louis Dryfus as Laverne and Shirley... Great comedic actresses!
3/24/2010 1:25:16 PM
Brandon Thixton United States
Brandon Thixton
I would say Zooey Deschanel and Drew Barrymore would be a good pair.
3/24/2010 1:26:15 PM
lynette United States
lynette
Kristen wigg from SNL would be a good choice for shirley. She is very talented. Other good choices are Deborah Messing, Tea Leoni, Tina Fey or Amy Poehler. All these women are great comedians.
3/24/2010 1:29:32 PM
Joelee Ashley United States
Joelee Ashley
I would cast Julia Louie Driffas as Shirley and Terri Garr as Laverne, I think.  They need to cast a little bit older women.  That's just my opinion. I don't know  if those two, Biel and Garner know who they are.
3/24/2010 1:30:22 PM
Tricia United States
Tricia
LaVerne and Shirley was a pretty innocent show (if my memory is correct), but my parents always happened to walk in when Lenny or Squiggy was trying to kiss one of them, which wasn't every episode.  My parents would ask, with that tone that parents get, "what are you watching?"
3/24/2010 1:31:42 PM
Michelle United States
Michelle
Jennifer Garner isn't such a strange choice she is a great actress and can make a wide variety of characters believable. I'm not so sure of the Jessica Beal choice though.
3/24/2010 1:31:51 PM
Michele United States
Michele
I think I would be more drawn to the Laverne & Shirley movie if they cast Queen Latifah and Tina Fey in the lead roles of Laverne and Shirley.  Jennifer and Jessica-not so much, actually, not at all! Thanks and may God continue to bless you all.
3/24/2010 1:31:56 PM
Erin United States
Erin
I have not seen that show before and do not even know who they are
3/24/2010 1:33:11 PM
Julie United States
Julie
Joan Cusack as Laverne and Kristen Chenowith as Shirley.  Both are amazing actresses and both have great comedic timing.  Don't you think??  I have very fond memories of Laverne & Shirley.  My mom called my best friend and I that all through High School.  In fact, I guess you could still call us that!!  I wish they would run the episodes on Nick at Night!!  I would so be watching it every night!!  Thanks for striking up those great memories!!
3/24/2010 1:33:36 PM
regina United States
regina
I have to agree with many others, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler would be great!  But when I saw someone else write Tea Leoni and Drew Barrymore, I'm thinkin they would be pretty great too!
3/24/2010 1:33:41 PM
Joleen Walkner United States
Joleen Walkner
I would cast Melissa Peterman (Laverne) & Sandra Bullock (Shirley).  The women the are casting aren't comedians.  Laverne & Shirley were funny.
3/24/2010 1:35:59 PM
Penni Sauer United States
Penni Sauer
I love some of the other suggestions, but the first two who popped into my mind were Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls) and Sandra Bullock. They could both do great physical comedy.
3/24/2010 1:38:01 PM
Roxanne Withington United States
Roxanne Withington
I don't know who I'd choose for the whole cast, but Nia Vardalos (Big Fat Greek Wedding) would be a perfect choice for Laverne. She's adorable & funny and easy to relate to. Too bad the movie won't do the show justice. Kind of like Dukes of Hazard.
3/24/2010 1:40:16 PM
susan barger United States
susan barger
I would like to see Kate Hudson and Drew Barrymore
3/24/2010 1:43:28 PM
steven silva United States
steven silva
Laverne is outspoken Fran Dreshler
Shirley is coy and naive Isla Fisher- from the movie Wedding Crashers
3/24/2010 1:46:43 PM
Cara United States
Cara
I also like Lauren Graham and Sandra Bullock.  For Lenny and Squiggy, I'd have to say the first two that came to mind are Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie.  I can watch Whose Line all day.
3/24/2010 1:47:06 PM
regina United States
regina
I just googled "new laverne and shirley" and get this in 2007 Jamie Foxx thought to cast Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohann as Laverne and Shirley & Ashton Kutcher and Damon Wayans as Lenny and Squiggy!  I think that the guy's could TOTALLY pull off these roles, but, PARIS Hilton, what was he thinkin?
3/24/2010 1:48:04 PM
Bonnie Griener United States
Bonnie Griener
I would choos Alyson Hannigan and either Anne Hathaway or Christine Taylor. They are all pretty, but not so hot that you forget just how funny Lavern and Shirley really are! I also have to say that Mathew Lillard would make a great Lenny!
3/24/2010 1:49:05 PM
Joey United States
Joey
I think Mo Collins and Alex Borstein from Mad TV would be great as Laverne and Shirley.
3/24/2010 1:56:30 PM
Amy Subblett United States
Amy Subblett
I would have to say Renee Zellweger and Ellen Degeneres or perhaps Gwenyth Paltrow.  I feel that these ladies would be perfect for the parts and would give it the comedy that it needed.  Thanks.
3/24/2010 2:11:55 PM
Leann Carrick United States
Leann Carrick
First - really isn't there any orginality in Hollywood. But if they insist on making Laverne and Shirley into a movie they should cast unknowns in the roles of Laverne and Shirley. I know two wonderful young actresses who would be great. Mia Carrick (Shirley) and Elizabeth Holzman (Laverne). Check them out messing around in their spare time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW6lz4oR2D4
Mia is the one with dark hair and Elizabeth has a grey shirt.
3/24/2010 2:13:02 PM
Tanya Dobbs United States
Tanya Dobbs
Laverne:  Toni Collette
Shirley:  Maggie Gyllenhaal
Lenny:  Matthew Grey Gubler
Squiggy:  Casey Affleck
3/24/2010 2:52:56 PM
tammy United States
tammy
I think the Laverne character should be someone familiar with comedy.  Jennifer Garner is so sweet in most of her movies, so it's hard to imagine her in that role.  What about Sandra Bulluck as Laverne, and Jennifer Garner as Shirley?  If you saw Sandra in her cheesy movie, WHAT ABOUT STEVE, you could see her pulling off this role.
3/24/2010 8:48:10 PM
Beth Anne United States
Beth Anne
I think Tina Fey and Amy Poehler would make a great Laverne and Shirley!
3/24/2010 9:01:50 PM
Melissa United States
Melissa
I think Mandy Moore would make a great Shirley and what about Jessica Simpson as Laverne.
3/24/2010 9:54:54 PM
Kim United States
Kim
Not sure about Laverne and Shirley but Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell for Lenny and Squiggy
3/24/2010 10:14:24 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Anne Hathaway and Drew Barrymore
3/24/2010 10:19:55 PM
ellen United States
ellen
I can only think of two actresses that could be perfect Sandra Bullock and Goldie Hawn totally funny people
3/24/2010 10:23:36 PM
Toni United States
Toni
My husband and I put our vote in for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.....wow looks like we are thinking alike based on other people's responses.  We hadn't even looked at the responses before we thought of ours.
3/24/2010 10:27:28 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Toni Collette would be perfect for Laverne and Marissa Tomei as Shirley.

Maybe even Ashley Judd.
3/24/2010 10:32:41 PM
Jennifer United States
Jennifer
Anne Hathaway would be great as Laverne. Not sure about Shirley. Annie is my favorite actor so I would go with her for sure and Laverne.
3/25/2010 2:33:57 AM
Amy United States
Amy
Even though I am most definitely not fans of theirs. I think Meg Ryan and Rosie O'Donnell would be great as Laverne and Shirley. (my favorite show growing up I might add!).  They were great together in "Sleepless in Seattle".
3/25/2010 6:16:03 AM
Stephanie United States
Stephanie
I LOVED/LOVE Laverne and Shirley!!
Slahmeal,schlamazel.....!!
I was wondering who really could do it justice then you mentioned Lenny and Swiggy, How about Ryan Stiles and Dietrich? from the Drew Carey show? Colin Mockery is just a bit too old. And how about Joey Fatone as Carmine? Hopefully this will create a DVD release of the classic! Blessings all.
3/25/2010 6:15:22 PM
Elizabeth United States
Elizabeth
I think Sandra Bullock would be apsolutly perfecet and Jenifer Anston would be pretty good too.
4/9/2010 9:46:07 AM
Sarah United States
Sarah
I think Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson would be a HILARIOUS pair to do this part!!! Smile lol Smile