Aug 03 2010

Dr. Paul Meier on preparing kids to go back to school

It's that time again! The summer is ending and it's time to go back to school. Dr. Meier has some great tips for getting the kids ready to go back to school.

Here are his suggestions:

SUGGESTIONS FOR GOING BACK TO SCHOOL

1.         SHARE AND PRAY: Share how you feel about going back to school with God, a couple friends and your parents—both positive and negative feelings and hopes and concerns. A SHARED BURDEN IS HALF A BURDEN. Talking about your concerns decreases your anxiety about them by about half.

2.         FINANCES are tough for most families in this current economy, so just do the best you can with the resources available to you to have clothing and supplies as close to the norm of your particular school as possible, without being seductive or provocative.

3.         ENMESHMENT: Some parents are nice and mean well, but cripple their children by being overly enmeshed with them and their decisions. As much as is reasonably possible, encourage your children to make their own decisions, be independent, choose their own clothing (within boundaries of course), and develop their own close friends. Do NOT be your child’s best friend. Children who are overly dependent on a controlling parent have the most fear of going to school. Being a parent is the only job whose success is measured by your children no longer needing you to survive and make their own decisions.

4.         SOCIAL PHOBIA: You may have six children, five who are outgoing and one who is shy from birth on. Social phobia is often a genetic, inherited phenomenon, correctable within a week or within a few weeks by prescription medications from a child psychiatrist, such as Neurontin, for example, which is not addicting. Some types of social anxiety are curable with professional counseling alone, but other types require medication for an inherited chemical imbalance.

5.         DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER, AND OTHER DEBILITATING PROBLEMS: Be sure your children get treated for these, or they will not be able to perform in school, socialize in school, and may even become suicidal. The teen suicide rate today is 300% higher than it was fifty years ago because of the breakdown of family and morals in our society, as well as other factors, including genetic factors. Your children (and yourselves) will recover from these with the right kind of help.

6.         BUILD A SUPPORT GROUP: We all need one or two friends who know all our secrets and accept us just the way we are.

7.         DEDICATE YOUR LIFE TO GOD: If you do, then you can be thankful for things that go right and grow from things that go “wrong.”

Paul Meier MD, MEIER CLINICS, www.meierclinics.org or 1-888-7-CLINIC.

You can listen to Dr. Meier here: Segment 1 and Segment 2

Aug 02 2010

High Heels... Yes or No???

Kelli is wearing screaming high heels today. Brought up the poll question: high heels...yes or no?!
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (58) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Aug 02 2010

Odd pregnancy cravings

Talking about pregnancy cravings--Kelli craved spinach at 2am when she was pregnant, Natalie Grant is craving banana ice cream and Angelina Jolie says she craved onion rings and dark chocolate! What about you? Any pregnancy cravings?

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (34) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
PajamaJeans?! Yes or no?!
Feb 25 2011

PajamaJeans?! Yes or no?!

Everywhere we look these days, we are hearing about "PajamaJeans." WHAT?! What are these things? Would you wear them? Why or why not?!

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (11) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/25/2011 4:01:27 PM
Kathryn United States
Kathryn
Hey Scott and Kelli,
As a preschool teacher there is an unwritten rule that states: "you can wear pajamas to school whenever you want."  This rule applies to my three year olds and sometimes I wish there was this rule for teachers as well.  To get around the rule we have pajama parties every once in a while.

As for the pajama jeans...depends what they look like and how they fit.  If they don't fit then I wouldn't wear them.

Kathryn
2/25/2011 4:06:19 PM
Felicia Novotny United States
Felicia Novotny
I think they would be okay around the house maybe, but to actually wear that type of stuff to work or in public in general makes one wonder....if I had the body of those models who wear them, then maybe to the grocery store....but I haven't had a figure like that since I was 16...lol.  I have a feeling the one who invented these will soon carry a larger balance in their bank account...however, I won't be contributing.
Have a BLESSED Day!!  I enjoy and support KLOVE!  Smile  <3
2/25/2011 4:09:02 PM
Valerie Notarnicola United States
Valerie Notarnicola
i dont think i would ever wear Pj jeans, i mean i wear Pj's to school and jeans to school but i think it's best to keep them seperate. some time soon i wonder if they are going to make legging Pj's.

haha i love you guys thanks for the great music and ineperation <3
2/25/2011 4:22:44 PM
Lorena Shank United States
Lorena Shank
I work at an elementary school. Twice a year we have pajama day, the kids and staff love it, but.... honestly it is the most exhuasting day!  You walk around all day with your body thinking it's time to go to bed! I would not recomend it.
2/25/2011 6:56:03 PM
Tracey posner United States
Tracey posner
ABSOLUTELY NOT!  My husband and I recently moved here in August from Utah and Waaayyy TOO MANY people there wore their pajamas out in public!  Believe me, I could tell you some stories!!!!
Anyway, JUST SAY NO to pajamas in public; pajama jeans or not!!!!!
Love, Love your show!!!  God Bless ya'll Smile  Yes, I heard you talking from that girl from the south...I too am from the south!
Blessings,
Tracey
2/25/2011 10:26:01 PM
Nate Tripp United States
Nate Tripp
I definitely would not wear them, also I think it is silly to go out in public wearing pajamas.Pajamas are meant for sleeping not for walking out in the germ-filled world. Imagine the germs you would bring into your bed. eewwwwww!!!!
2/26/2011 12:50:29 PM
Brandy United States
Brandy
No. they are way to exepensive.
2/26/2011 2:55:25 PM
Cherry United States
Cherry
Defintely not. There is this girl in some of my classes who wears PJs everyday. As many of I have like active pants, yoga pants and jeans she has PJ pants. Its pretty crazy. Its like, your not still sleeping. HAHA.
3/1/2011 6:01:13 PM
JESSICA United States
JESSICA
first i love the station but i think pajama jeans great idea u can wear out and if u are really tired u can sleep in them so a yes for me
3/4/2011 1:17:16 PM
Dana United States
Dana
Actually, My family and I were in the store (except my dad, he was at work) and we saw like pajama shirts that you can wear out and about and I joked, "What about pajama jeans?" and next thing you know. There they are on TV! I literally fell off my couch. I would't wear them just because they actually look to tight to me and they look weird. And everybody would know what they look like and say, "Oh look. She has on pajama jeans." I just wouldn't wear them. Smile
3/25/2011 9:44:55 PM
Alexis United States
Alexis
I would not, I mean really pajamasthat you wear all the time. So what you get out of bed and put your hair in a ponytail and your ready. I dont think so. Its a big NO for me.