Jun 30 2011

Don't Waste Another Marble!

I have been reading John Maxwell's  book, The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player.  It is a great read and a book that is so applicable to everyone!  We are all apart of a team in one way or another.  In the chapter on living life intentionally John shared a story that friend had shared with him.  His friend Dwight Bain overheard a Ham radio broadcast one morning and what he overheard was some an advise an older gentleman was sharing:

"It's a shame you have to be away from home and your famliy so much," he said, "Let me tell you something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own prirorities.  You see, one day I sat down and did a little arithmetic.  The average person lives 75 years, so I multipled 75 times 52 and came up with 3,900, which is the number of Saturdays the average person has in a lifetime.

"it took me fifty-five years to think about this in any detail." he continued, "and by that time I had lived through 2,800 Saturdays.  I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had about a thousand of those left to enjoy."

He went on to explain that he had bought 1,000 marbles and put them in a clear container in his favorite work area at home.  "Every Saturday since then," he said, "I have taken one of the marbles out of the jar and thown it away.  I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in life.  There's nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help you get your priorities straight."

The older gentleman finished, "Now let me tell you one more thing before I sign off and take my lovely wife to breakfast.  This morning, I took my last marble out of the container.  I figure if I make it until next Saturday, then I have been given a little extra time."

We can't choose whether we will get any more time, but we can choose what we do with it.  If you are intentional with what with what you have, then you will make the most out of the time and talent that God gives you.

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (16) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

6/30/2011 3:08:39 PM
Lynn United States
Lynn
How true this is. To take each day as it comes and do everything that you can. Enjoy the fullness of everyone around you. God loves you and will carry you through everything and every day.
6/30/2011 5:35:27 PM
Deborah United States
Deborah
I love this.  For a lot of us, a visual reminder is so helpful.  I would think it would be great to add marbles whenever you spend an extra day with the family that you otherwise would be working too.  Or past your allotted 3900 marbles, start putting one in and let them be a visual for the grace God has given you in allowing you another Saturday.  Thanx for sharing this.
6/30/2011 5:44:26 PM
Carl United States
Carl
I just turned 55 yesterday, what a timely message for me!  I'm going out and buying some marbles this Saturday, then, throw one away...  I need to make the most of the time and talents God has blessed and will bless me with!  Thanks for sharing this message!  Carl
6/30/2011 6:02:42 PM
Rachel United States
Rachel
What a blessing! As a teen I find this message so important especially for this generation. I think we tend to be so distracted with media and entertainment rather than what matters most - our relationship with Christ and making the most of our time for His glory. Now I'm going to have to go out and buy some marbles. Smile

Ephesians 5:15-16 "Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."
6/30/2011 6:06:25 PM
Juliet United States
Juliet
Thank you for this. It is something I am going to do. I have been going through a really bad time in my life right now. Someone stole everything I owned in my house, even my kids pictures and things, destroyed my credit and broke my heart. But I know even being now homeless and penniless, that God has a better plan for me. It is up to me to appreciate it and help him help me and not sit and cry. I am grateful I am alive and can begin again. I just dont know where or when that will be.
7/1/2011 10:20:30 AM
Kellie Beadle United States
Kellie Beadle
Thank you for posting this.  It really makes you think about what's important and what matters most.  I hope you don't mind, I reposted this story to my personal blog.  Thank you SO Much!
7/1/2011 2:35:04 PM
Janis Brady United States
Janis Brady
Great story. Thank you for sharing it.
7/1/2011 3:20:33 PM
Rhonda M United States
Rhonda M
Hi my name is Rhonda. I am fighting breast cancer. Next week will be my fourth of six rounds on some intense chemo. I will also have another year on another chemo drug. It can be scary and very uncomfortable. Thank you so much for sharing this story and helping to put life into perspective. I know that God loves me and is with me EVERY step of the way! Love u KLOVE!
7/2/2011 11:58:05 AM
Lisa O'Brien United States
Lisa O'Brien
Juliet and Rhonda, may God's comfort blanket you both. I just prayed for Him to hold you in his hand and ease your trials. I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through and so very, very glad you are turning to the great Healer for your hope. Blessings to you both.
7/4/2011 6:07:53 AM
Katie United States
Katie
heyy. SO when I heard about this on the radio I was absolutely touched!!! I am only 17, so i have A LOT of saturdays left for me...but then again maybe i dont...this story really made me realize that i may not have all those marbles left in my jar...you see, i was just diagnosed with cancer for the 3rd time in my short life. but i am going to start something like this, because my life means sooo much to me, and if i dont use up all my marbles, then at least the people around me will have something to remember me by. And ya know what? I'm not afriad to die, I know I will be in Heaven, partying it up with God!
7/4/2011 7:22:43 AM
Marianne United States
Marianne
I love love love this!
7/4/2011 1:30:29 PM
Crisilla Lucas United States
Crisilla Lucas
While reading this, tears were rolling down my eyes, because we do only have a certain amount of time on this earth,it can get hard, but we must make it count! God Bless us all!
7/4/2011 4:48:02 PM
Vinny United States
Vinny
I believe in God and Jesus, and "man" made laws (and nations) that made man lost. Stop overplaying that fact.  Women, and non-white protestants were not free and many of us are still under the boot. SLAVERY was never referenced in the constitution. So, while freedom is not free, it was also not for everybody (14 amendments later and it finally came to Black Americans on paper only).

Our nation has supported dictators, fought wars, and used the red, white, blue, and armed forces to perpetuate those lies. So, don't play a part in that....are you after ratings, or truth? July 4th celebrates our declaration of independence, it is not the birthday of America!
7/5/2011 11:15:57 AM
Suly Rieman United States
Suly Rieman
I used to teach a career development class to college junior and seniors and have recommended Maxwell's book to them.
We never get away from working in a team, department or people and it is a great resource.
7/5/2011 1:55:11 PM
kylee vandeventer United States
kylee vandeventer
do you guys broad cast from chickasha
7/6/2011 9:11:44 AM
chase miller United States
chase miller
Please Pray for My New Christian Social Network.
It took 10 months to create this website.

I love K-Love!