Apr 25 2012

Unsung Support

Bride turned widow at 24 grateful for ‘overwhelming’ support. TODAY

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Burger King vows cage-free chicken and pork. TODAY Now we know where the Burger King guy has been, chasing around chickens.

Facebook partners with anti-virus software makers to provide free computer security. Inside Facebook

18 Things a Mother Should Tell Her Son

1. Play a sport.  It will teach you how to win honorably, lose gracefully, respect authority, work with others, manage your time and stay out of trouble.  And maybe even throw or catch.

2. Use careful aim when going potty.  Somebody's got to clean that up, you know.

3. Save money when you're young because you're going to need it some day.

4. Allow me to introduce you to the dishwasher, oven, washing machine, iron, vacuum, mop and broom.  Now please go use them.

5. Pray and be a spiritual leader.

6. Don't ever be a bully and don't ever start a fight, but please defend yourself.

7. Your knowledge and education is something that nobody can take away from you.

8. Treat women kindly. Forever is a long time to live alone.

9. Take pride in your appearance.

10. Be strong and tender at the same time.

11. A woman can do everything that you can do.  This includes her having a successful career and you changing diapers at 3am.  Mutual respect is the key to a good relationship.

12. "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, sir" still go a long way.

13. Peer pressure is a scary thing.  Be a good leader and others will follow.

14. Bringing her flowers for no reason is always a good idea.

15. Be patriotic.

16. Potty humor isn't the only thing that's humorous.

17. Please choose your spouse wisely.  My daughter-in-law will be the gatekeeper for me spending time with you and my grandchildren.

18. Remember to call your mother because I might be missing you.

By Amanda Hohenbery

You know it's gonna be a bad day when...

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (8) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

4/25/2012 1:38:18 PM
Grace United States
Grace
I agree with many of these things, excepting maybe the "women can do everything men can do". Women can do most of what men can do, but God specifically designed men and women to be different and be better at different things. In this case the respect should come from recognizing that women are to be valued for being women, not men in skirts.

Another thing I would add is media. Parents should work much harder to give their children uplifting and good media that will model what real men look like. What goes in comes out.
4/25/2012 3:14:06 PM
Kathy Nabity United States
Kathy Nabity
As for learning "how to win honorably, lose gracefully, respect authority, work with others, manage your time and stay out of trouble," I can't say enough good things about the Boy Scouts! My boys' troop has some boys who excel at academics, some are gifted athletes, some have ADHD, some are developmentally challenged, some have health limitations, some are along the autism spectrum, and some are just average kids. The boys have learned how to work with kids who have different abilities (and different ability levels) than their own. ALL of the boys learn leadership skills and rotate through various leadership positions within the troop, along with exploring various interests and challenging themselves physically. (And it is great for the adult volunteers, too.)
4/25/2012 6:51:54 PM
Michelle United States
Michelle
My radio was cutting out while I was driving today but I think I heard Scott and a caller saying something about Free Range Chicken not being as good because you can't control where they go, what they eat, and what diseases they might catch.  If I didn't hear wrong, I'd encourage you to do some research on what Free Range means.  You also might want to check out "Food, Inc." to see where the "normal" chicken comes from.
4/25/2012 8:20:34 PM
Paul K United States
Paul K
Hi,
I wanted to comment about the free-range chickens being served at Burger King.
Free-range means the chickens have access to the outside but they do not necessarily go outside and move around. Most of the time the access door is locked and opened a few hours a day. Most chickens will not go outside because they are not accustomed to it. "Pasture-raised" chickens are different - they are actually outside and fed a much healthier diet.
4/27/2012 1:15:31 PM
Laura Hopkins United States
Laura Hopkins
Hi, I thought I would just give credit to the author sinces that seems to have been left out Smile

www.werdyab.com

Her blog is great . . . and there is more where this came from.
4/27/2012 1:25:29 PM
Mark United States
Mark
www.werdyab.com/.../...er-should-tell-her-son.html

The exact link she wrote that looks like it has shown up on this page.. hmmm
4/27/2012 1:41:13 PM
Linda Bailey United States
Linda Bailey
You did not give credit to the author! Werdyab Blog Just because you only used 18 of the "20 Things A Mother Should Tell Her Son" doesn't mean you don't give her credit. These were taken directly from her blog.   Werdyab Blog
www.werdyab.com.  Check it out.  It is funny and fun. Thank you in advance for correcting your error.

4/27/2012 1:41:38 PM
Melody Puckett United States
Melody Puckett
Thank you for sharing the "18 things a mother should tell her son". I know it went viral nearly overnight, so in an effort to give credit where credit is due, please check out the author's blog site at WERDYAB.COM. Her blog is full of all kinds of inspirational and humorous posts!