Feb 02 2011

Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant Interview

Check out this video of Michael W. Smith's video of "How To Say Goodbye" and our interview with Michael and Amy Grant!

Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant talk about touring, past and present

Amy and Michael getting emotional before a show

What they're wearing on their tour

The Impact of their music

The impact of Amy Grant's Age to Age album

The story behind "Better Than A Hallelujah"

Michael and Amy's collaboration on "How To Say Goodbye"

Giving Back to the community, and world as a whole

SuperBowl Predictions

What are you looking forward to on this tour?

Sneak Preview and Thank You

Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (7) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

2/2/2011 5:13:30 PM
Michael Clymer United States
Michael Clymer
I am preparing a memorial video for a 24 year old in our church. She had a terrible, terrible condition which kept her twisted, in pain, incoherent, and wheelchair bound her whole life. I am typing this with bleary-eyed blindness because listening to this song hits me so hard. It also can apply to this young woman.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the ministry you two perform.
2/2/2011 8:06:46 PM
Veronica United States
Veronica
Scott and Kelli wanted people to write how Amy Grant's or Michael W. Smith's music had impacted their lives. I've longed to tell Amy Grant how she got me through my divorce from my husband of 19 years. I started countless letters to her, then stopped, thinking she would figure it was trite. I would listen to Behind the Eyes on my way to work and on my way home, with tears streaming down my face, singing right along with her. The pain she was working through was evident to me. It's been 13 years since all that happened, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I also know I couldn't have made it through without her music. It was truly a gift from God Himself. Thanks, Amy and I thank God for you.

Veronica
2/2/2011 8:39:16 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
I too was married for 19 years and enjoyed Amy Grant's music during the marriage, during the divorce and in the last 8 years of singleness too.

Amy Grant seems like a real life fairy tale to me.
When I was in high school and attempting to learn how to play the guitar myself, I remember admiring how easy it seemed for her.

Now her newest Christmas album with the "princess" like photo of her.  My newest favorite song, "I Need A Silent Night" ranks at the top with "Tennessee Christmas" (even though I live in Colorado).

Growing up in the same era with Amy Grant, it is almost like having a sister who did all the wonderful things most of us dream about.  Amy seems so genuine.

Although my life does not have a Prince Charming like Amy's does, nor the fancy princess like dresses or house, I still love her music and hope someday my life can be a happy as hers appears to be.

I never really thought of myself as idolizing a "famous person", but I guess I do envy Amy Grant.

Cindy
2/2/2011 9:03:13 PM
shelly United States
shelly
Hello I have just recently started listening to KLOVE at work and with my kids in the car. While I was at work you played the Friends songs and it made me think of when I was in high school and our youth group would sing this song every time we had to say good bye because of someone moving. See are parents were stationed in Germany so kids would come and go but thru the years several kids came to know Jesus and GOD. It was sad to see them leave but knowing that God was taking them to there next adventure made it easier. My four year old loves for me to sing to her so she is learning some of Amy Grants songs. It is a joy to share with her and my step daughter about God and Jesus. Thank you for you time and thank you for sharing Gods love
2/2/2011 9:17:59 PM
Liz United States
Liz
Where do I start.  Oh yes, please please keep this interview up for a while, as I will listen to over and over and will give opportunity for more to listen who have missed some or all.  Thanks.
-----------
breif testimonies/stories:
---------------
First off It's been 13+yrs since I last saw Smitty and Amy together, I'm disappointed I couldn't make it to roseville.

Michael Story:
Countless.  He's the only artist God has used every song ever written by Michael up til his last worship album that was released a couple yrs ago...only because I do not yet own it Smile
From depression, to trying suicide as a teen, to the good times, the not so good times...almost 23yrs, God's used Michael, his life, his ministry to speak into my life.
One moment comes to life.  Michael spoke in the interview about how songs impact people and sometimes things he shares from stage impacts people...it's true.  A few years ago, Christmastime, michael was on tour in my area.  He spoke about eating right, exercising...and while eating well and especially exercising has been a big part of my life for years, at the time I had found excuses for a few monnths too many!  Hearing Michael share about exercise and seeing how well he was doing, motivated me to get back into exercising.  I created a lifelong motto:  "No excuses"-exercising.
Keep sharing from the stage Smitty!
--------------------
Amy
I'm grateful she helped Michael really make a start for himself.  I'm also touched every time I hear Amy on cd singing, "breath of heaven".  Years ago, I use to sign(ASL) in church.  I would sign to a single live song during offering on occasion.  One Christmas I was going to sign to "Breath of Heaven"   was in rehersals, signing along with the people who would sing the song...when all the sudden I injured my left shoulder.  I have had loose/weak joints most of my life, and anything can cause injury at any time.
Being in quite a lot of pain at tat time, while sill practicing...I remember streams of water coming from my eyes, and it literally became a prayer as I ran through the song, "Breath of Heavn, hold me together, be forever near me...breath of Heaven."
I ran through that song, singing it several times through to prepare for the Christmas church Concert/event.  That night, pain killers weren't helping, I was in a lot of pain from practicing.  I got up there signed and a miracle occured....while I was signing, the pain disappeared!!!
Now I get emotional whenever I hear Amy's "breath of Heaven"
2/3/2011 5:57:59 AM
Tracy United States
Tracy
Wow-- Thank you for posting the interview.  I was unable to hear all of it yesterday.  When I got in my car and heard "Friends", I was taken back to my senior year of high school.
I had the privilege of seeing Michael W. Smith in concert back in the late 80's/early 90's.  It was in Nashville and it had snowed like crazy.  We were afraid the concert would be cancelled.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  I loved it.  He had an unknown group -- DC Talk open for him that night.  I still have to crank up my "Change Your World" cd!!

As for Amy -- Thank you for your music.  You were my first exposure to Christian music.  Your Age to Age album has a special place in my heart.  In addition, when I lived in Germany, this home-sick Tennessean played "Tennessee Christmas" so much, I was drving my poor husband crazy that first Christmas.

Thank you both for your ministries.
And Thank you to K-Love for the daily blessings!!

In Christ,
Tracy
2/6/2011 6:36:51 AM
Vicky United States
Vicky
Loved the interview.  Can you tell me what song by Amy you played during the interview and has it been released.

Love your show!

Vicky
Heard on Today's Show
Mar 05 2013

Heard on Today's Show

Building 429

They joined us on the show today, sharing about their new album, "We Won't Be Shaken" - coming out June 4th! If you missed any of the interview, you can catch it here:

Donations For Homeless Man Hits $175K

Cop Saves Man With CPR

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

12-Year Old Boy Saves His Little Sister

3/5/2013 1:24:05 PM
Cindy United States
Cindy
Just wanted to say that I think Building 429 is awesome.  Love to listen to their music, especially on K-Love.  This is not where I belong because God has a better home waiting for me.
3/5/2013 1:31:59 PM
Grady United States
Grady
Thanks so very much to Bldg. 429 for playing in the small town of Andrews, Texas on Feb. 17th.  The arena had a capacity of 10,000 people and they were turning people away. My grandchildren and other kids sat in awe of you and your commitment to faith..Jason and the crew rocked their world..changed their lives and saved their spirits...THANK YOU!!!!!
3/5/2013 1:51:01 PM
Nichole United States
Nichole
Hey! I have to say you are all awesome! I am working on some of my hw and I just love listening to Klove well I work. Especially today when I heard building 429 talking to you all! Which reminded me, because I saved enough money I actually get to see them in concert this Friday on campus!! I have wanted to see them in concert as long as I can remember because I love their music, especially running to their music! So excited!!!!!!!!!! Building 429 may God continue to use you all always! Between ya'll and Klove you all made me so excited well being buried under a ton of work! THANK YOU! Anyway, thanks so very much! God bless you all always!
3/5/2013 2:11:06 PM
Levi Calcott United States
Levi Calcott
Hi Scott and Kelli, Building 429.
My name is Levi, I'm 18 and i love listenin to Klove and Building 429's song Right Beside You has had an amazing impact on my life. I've been going through a lot in my life, but whenever I hear that song, I know that God is always right beside me. Also, God has given me a talent of doing mini Bible studies on God's love and grace, and the gift of writing 28 worship song lyrics over the past year and a half. Thank you all for you're encouragement. God Bless K Love
3/6/2013 6:27:05 PM
Marjan VandenBrink Canada
Marjan VandenBrink
Thank you so much for having this awesome interview with my favorite group.  I love how honest they are, I am so looking forward to hear their new cd when it comes out in June.  I love these guys very much, I have seen them live for times.  I have had the honor of meeting them three times.  They have blessed me every time we have met.  Thank you for sharing this interview with us.  Take care and God bless you all.  Marjan VandenBrink

Edmonton, Alberta