The first step of admitting a hurt, hang-up, or habit holding you back can be the hardest to accept. Pride can blind us to the depth and reality of our needs. When people speak up, show concern, and try to help, we lash out defensively because we don’t see ourselves that way and don’t want to see ourselves that way. And so, the spiral often continues until we hit rock bottom or something very near it. In those moments when we just don’t know what to do anymore, we find ourselves in the perfect place to let go and surrender. Now, we don’t always have to go to that end to come to the point of surrender. We can make that choice daily, following the example of Jesus, who laid down His life so that we might live. Prayer is the perfect place to go to let go.
1. He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting Him might pass Him by. “Abba, Father,” He cried out, “everything is possible for You. Please take this cup of suffering away from Me. Yet I want Your will to be done, not Mine.” – Mark 14:35-36 NLT
Jesus, thank You for showing me what it means to surrender. Thank You for showing us what comes from setting down what looks so hard and choosing to simply trust. Your example inspires me and encourages me. Because of You, I know there is hope when I let go, and seek the Father’s perfect will. Amen.
2. So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. – James 4:7 NLT
Holy Spirit, please help me combat my pride. Please help me be aware of the enemy’s tactics. Strengthen me to surrender to You and walk in the Father’s will. I need this today, and I know it comes from You, God. I admit I cannot do this on my own. Amen.
3. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. – Romans 12:2 NLT
Father, the people around me, make a good argument. I do have a desire to keep doing what I’m doing. But I know You have better for me. I need to change who I spend time with. Guide me to people You are transforming, Father. Give me better people to help in this changing-the-way-I-think process. I need some help and encouragement. Amen.
4. So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time, He will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. – 1 Peter 5:6-7 NLT
Lord, I don’t know how much more I need to be humbled, but I know You’re working in all of this. Please help me be strong and aware enough to walk in humility before You. I know this requires a lot of patience on Your part, so I want to thank You for that ahead of time. I want to give this all over to You, but I even struggle with that sometimes. Help me surrender fully to You, O God. Amen.
5. Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. – Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT
Father, I’ve been doing this on my own again. I think I’ve been down this road before and find myself in the same spot again. Give me the wisdom to seek Your will and to work out this life of surrender before You. I know I’m not earning Your love, but I do want to show my love to You in this. I’m surrendering to You, Father. Hear my cry to You and show me the way. Amen.
6. Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God. – Romans 6:13 NLT
Holy Spirit, I know my flesh works against me daily. And I need Your help to just get through today. This battle in me has been going on for a while now, and I need You. Help me surrender and give myself over to Your leadership, Your voice filling my heart. Guide me through each decision today. Help my ears and heart hear You just a little better today than yesterday. I want to do what is right before You, God. Amen.
7. “Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” – Matthew 11:29 NLT
Jesus, You amaze me. I often need to work harder, push more, and dig deeper. But You keep telling me to give it all to You. Your teachings, Your “yoke,” is what I need. I’ve been trying to steer my life according to my will. It’s time to surrender and let You take that wheel. Teach me. May my heart be humble before You. Amen.
8. Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow Me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for My sake, you will save it.” – Luke 9:23-24 NLT
Jesus, I need to do what You said and give up my own way. I keep trying to do it my way, to press on with my will, and look where it always gets me. Give me strength enough to listen. Sufficient power to give it up, to surrender my will to Yours. I need You so much right now. Please surround me with people who love You and who can help me. I know I don’t need to do this on my own anymore. Help me, Jesus. Amen.