Whether we like to admit it or not, we are all following someone or something. Between social media, the news, and leaders worldwide, we all look at and are influenced by others. All the things or people we look up to require a sacrifice – time, energy, investment, or commitment. If you’re a believer, God calls us to follow Him; with our hearts, soul, and mind. Who you follow dramatically impacts how you live your life – let’s look at eight prayers for following Jesus.
1. Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow Me.” – Matthew 16:24 NLT
Lord, give me the strength to follow You. I admit it’s easier to do my own thing than to follow You. Yet, I’m continually tempted to follow my way instead of Yours. Guide me to look to You and trust that Your way is always better than mine. Following You takes great sacrifice; help me to remember that it’s always worth it. Amen.
2. “Anyone who wants to serve Me must follow Me, because My servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves Me.” – John 12:26 NLT
Father, help me have the heart to serve You. I admit I don’t always have this desire. I want to follow You in every circumstance. Please give me the desire to follow You. Honor and blessings come with a life of service to You. Help me to follow You with everything I have. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3. For God called you to do good, even it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in His steps. – 1 Peter 2:21 NLT
God, following You can be challenging. Thank You for sending Jesus to be the ultimate example of following You, even to the point of giving His life. I know that Jesus suffered on this earth for Your sake – give me the courage to do the same with boldness. Help me to remember suffering isn’t eternal, but the reward You have waiting for me is. Amen.
4. “Yes, I am the Vine, you are the branches. Those who remain in Me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. 8 When you produce much fruit, you are My true disciples. This brings great glory to My Father.” – John 15:5,8 NLT
Lord, I know that I can’t do anything apart from You. Thank You for being my sustainer as I seek to follow You. Guide me to set my eyes on You; it’s my heart’s desire for others to see the change You’ve made in my life. May others see that I’m following You with the fruit produced from a life of devotion to You. Amen.
5. So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. – 1 Peter 1:14-16 NLT
Father, I want to be holy like You. When temptations come my way, may I stay on the path of righteousness. Help me to lean into Your presence and obey You when things of this world distract me from following You. Let everything I do bring glory, honor, and praise to Your name. Give me the courage to keep my gaze set on You today. Amen.
6. When Jesus heard his answer, He said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” – Luke 18:22 NLT
Heavenly Father, living life to follow You means being selfless. Help me to remember the things of this world are temporary; there is a lasting reward in heaven. You desire good things for Your children – may I always remember Your heart for me when the world seems to fight for my attention. Guide me to give my all to the calling You’ve placed on my life, no matter the cost. Amen.
7. “If the world hates you, remember that it hated Me first. 19 The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.” – John 15:18-19 NLT
Lord, You know firsthand how harsh this world can be. You sympathize with the challenges of following You – let me always remember You understand. I’m grateful You chose me and called me not to be of this world. May I always lean on this promise when I feel burdened by the weight of this world. Amen.
8. Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loves us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. – Ephesians 5:1-2 NLT
Lord, I praise You for the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. Let the gospel transform the way I follow You daily. Help me love others the way Jesus does unconditionally. May I always seek to follow You, remembering the example of what Christ did for me. Amen.