Have you ever experienced the weight of depression? At times it can feel like there are sandbags around your waist making it almost impossible to perform the basic daily to-dos. Depression can sometimes feel like this. You feel as though darkness is enclosing in on you with no way out. Depression is an emotion that, on many occasions, imprisons you in negative thought patterns and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness. Leaning on God and starting to let His words take root in our hearts and minds can help us find healing for depression. Here are eight prayers to assist you in ending the depression that has been burdening your life.
1. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
Heavenly Father, I am feeling down right now. Please help me to know Your peace and presence more because You feel so far off. You say that You will never leave me or forsake me so please come close to me now. Thank You for hearing my prayer. Teach me to know Your peace.
2. He was despised and rejected— a Man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on Him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. – Isaiah 53:3 NLT
Father, I am overwhelmed with sadness. It feels like I am suffocating under all these thoughts and feelings. Jesus, You experienced deep sorrow and grief. Thank You for understanding what I am going through. Encourage me Holy Spirit, that if Jesus made it through His suffering, then I am going to make it through with His power. Lord, help me to overcome these downcast feelings. Amen.
3. And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all He has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him. 2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. – Romans 12:1-2 NLT
Lord, my mind continues to race with possibilities with no answers. I cannot seem to direct my mind in the right direction. Please help me to think of You so that I can have peace. Please, Lord, deliver me from these feelings of hopelessness and replace them with confidence in You as I renew my mind on You. You are my hope, so give me hope, Lord. Amen.
4. “Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to Him than they are?” – Matthew 6:26 NLT
Father, I feel covered again with anxiety. Please help me to remember that Jesus said I am more valuable than birds and flowers. Remind me that, just as You take care of the birds, You will certainly take care of me as Your child. Thank You for covering all my anxious sins with Your forgiving blood. In Your name, amen.
5. Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again—my Savior and my God! – Psalm 42:11 NLT
Dear Lord, I feel so much pressure from other people. I feel even more anxious knowing they expect me to act a certain way that I feel depressed. Help me listen to You and Your Word and not listen to the lies I keep telling myself. Please help me to say to myself I hold to Your truth and hope in You, Lord. In Your name, amen.
6. “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” – Psalm 46:10 NLT
Heavenly Father, I need Your help to be still. Calm my heart and ground me in Your love. You are not absent but ever-present in my life. Teach me how to know that You are God. You are more significant than anything I am going through, so help me to trust You and worship You through these negative feelings. Amen.
7. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. – Psalm 139:3 NLT
Father, forgive me for elevating other people above You in my sight. I need Your assistance in understanding how You know me and my habits so well and are always by my side. Help me put my faith in You. You are more powerful and larger than whatever I am facing. Amen.
8. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. – 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT
Lord, I am scared. I feel like I am not going to be ok. Remind me that I have had fears before and gotten through them. Please help me to do it again. You have not given me a spirit of fear or worry. You have given me a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. That is hard to believe right now, but I choose to overcome by trusting Your Word with more confidence in Your power. Amen.
9. Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. – 1 Peter 5:7 NLT
Father, I feel weighted down with the cares of the world. Everything seems to be caving in upon my mind. I want to care for others, but I don’t know how to manage right now. I cast my cares upon You now because You are a burden-bearing God. I humble myself and cast all my cares upon You. Thank You for carrying my burdens. In Your name, amen.
10. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure. – 1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT
Dear Lord, my whole body feels like a pile of nerves, not knowing what to do or where to go. I am feeling numb and feel guilty and don’t think there is a way out. Please help me remember that no temptation has overtaken me that others have not dealt with. Help me seek and find Your way of escape. In Your name, amen.