We are all great at thinking about how events will affect us personally. However, we rarely stop considering how our actions will affect others or the generations coming after us. While legacy might not be a high priority for you, God places a lot of importance on it. The Lord knows a seemingly insignificant choice can have lasting effects on future generations. No one wants to leave a bad legacy, but we must start thinking today about what we want our legacy to be. Here are 8 prayers to help you begin leaving a legacy that God desires.
1. Good people leave an inheritance to their grandchildren, but the sinner’s wealth passes to the godly. – Proverbs 13:22 NLT
Lord, I know You are concerned about the legacy I leave behind for my family and future generations. Father, give me the desire to leave a legacy that pleases You. I don’t always take the time to consider how much of an influence my life and my actions have. Please help me to remain in a place of greater awareness. In Jesus’ name, amen.
2. Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed. – Proverbs 16:3 NLT
God, I sometimes find it difficult to put aside my ambitions and ideas. I am so conscious of what I want that sometimes I place Your desire for my life on the back burner. Father, please help me to continue seeking You and to commit my actions to You so that I may leave the legacy that You want me to leave behind. In Your Son’s name, amen.
3. Praise the LORD! How joyful are those who fear the Lord and delight in obeying His commands. 2 Their children will be successful everywhere; an entire generation of godly people will be blessed. – Psalm 112:1-2 NLT
Jesus, sometimes I can overcomplicate things. The power of obedience highlighted in this verse encourages me that even simple obedience to Your Word begins to create the kind of legacy You want me to leave. Thank You for a straight path forward as I follow after Your ways. I pray that You empower me to follow through on what You ask me to do. Amen.
4. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. – Deuteronomy 6:6-7 NLT
God, grant me the grace to keep Your Word ingrained in my heart. I sense an internal conflict caused by numerous things fighting for the same place. Lord, I want to know You and love You with all my heart that overflows into my day-to-day. Let my family, children, and friends see this and be encouraged to do the same. In Jesus’ name, amen.
5. You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. – 2 Timothy 2:2 NLT
Lord, it is so clear to me that I am powerless without You. It can be challenging to carve out time to simply be in Your company. Help me, Lord, in making time for You a priority. What You speak and deposit in me during these dedicated times, let it be a witness to my family and children. In Jesus’ name, amen.
6. We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD, about His power and His mighty wonders. – Psalm 78:4 NLT
Lord, help me to keep Your goodness and praise on my lips continuously. Your faithfulness in my life is not something I am supposed to keep to myself. These are stories and experiences I need to share with generations to come. Help me to be a strong light for You. In Your great name, amen.
7. Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it. – Proverbs 22:6 NLT
My Father, You instruct us to raise our children in accordance with Your Word so that as they get older, they won’t stray from Jesus. Help me to teach Your Word and Your way to my children intentionally. Give me the knowledge I need to encourage them to develop their connection with You. In Jesus’ name, amen.
8. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. – Philippians 4:9 NLT
God, there are moments when I feel overwhelmed and don’t know what to leave and what to give. Help me not to overcomplicate things. Let me practice doing what You’ve taught me and what I’ve seen You do. Let how I live my life make the most significant impact on future generations. In the powerful name of Jesus, amen.