Financial debt is such an emotional weight for many who have, for various reasons, taken on this financial burden. Debt affects our relationships and mental health, and the stress it produces can affect our physical health. Wherever you are on this journey, God's wisdom can get you out of this weight of debt. The following are 8 prayers based on the scripture that you can pray as you begin your journey toward becoming debt free.
1. Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender. – Proverbs 22:7 NLT
Lord Jesus, help me get from under this slavery to debt. I confess I have not always managed my money well, and some of this debt is my fault. Therefore, I turn to You right now and ask for Your help, that You will lead me out of this bondage to debt.
2. Then Jesus said, "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." – Matthew 11:28 NLT
Jesus, the debt burden is weighing on me, stressing me out, and affecting my life negatively. So I come to You by faith and lay the burden of this right here, at Your feet, trusting You to take the weight of it and help me deal with it.
3. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 16 But we must hold on to the progress we have already made. – Philippians 3:13,16 NLT
Jesus, I know there is a long journey ahead, but as I fix my eyes on You, help me forget about the past and make better financial decisions moving forward. I receive Your grace and will move towards Your will for me. While paying down debt help me make good progress and maintain it.
4. Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty. – Proverb 21:5 NLT
Lord, thank You for helping me avoid shady shortcuts. As I plan, I'm asking for Your presence, leadership, and guidance so I can be led out from under this poverty. I commit this hard work to You and trust You will help me come out debt free.
5. If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking – James 1:5 NLT
Father, in Jesus' name, I'm asking for Your strategies. I trust Your generosity and know You want to lead me to wisdom. So give me Your wisdom to do the right things and make the right moves to get out of debt quickly.
6. First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny You and say, “Who is the Lord?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name. – Proverbs 30:8–9 NLT
Father, in Jesus' name, I'm asking for a sustainable income. Please let it include the basics of housing, food, and utilities but provides the income needed to dig my way out of this debt.
7. Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. - Romans 13:8 NLT
Father, I know it's Your will that I owe no money to anyone. I'm not there right now, but I want to be. I look to You for this wisdom and ability. Every good thing I have comes from You. I trust You on this journey.
8. Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." - Hebrews 13:5 NLT
Father, I trust You will never leave me and never abandon me. It's my confidence in Your love that assures me You will provide. Help me love You more than anything or anyone on this planet. Please help me to be content with what I have. I thank You for it. Set me free, oh God, from the bondage of the love of money.