Everyone in the world has at least one leader. It might be your employer, a team leader at church, your pastor, or even government representatives. It is so easy to criticize those in positions of authority especially when we have different beliefs from them. The truth is there are some exceptional leaders and others that aren’t so good. But did you know that the Bible tells us to pray for our leaders, good or bad, right or wrong? Yes, the Bible asks us to put aside our personal opinions and to pray for those in authority. The eight prayers listed below are designed to help you pray for the leaders in your life.
1. I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. – 1 Timothy 2:1-2 NLT
Father, we lift our leaders up to You today. Draw them close to Yourself, Your wisdom, and Your ways through Your grace. Lord, we ask that You would help lead them in making the right decisions that align with what You would like to accomplish in Your will and Your plan. Amen.
2. Respect everyone, and love the family of believers. Fear God, and respect the king. – 1 Peter 2:17 NLT
Father, help us, as Your people to show proper love and respect to our leaders. It’s not always easy, but as You extend grace to us, may we also extend grace to those whom You have permitted to be in authority over us so that we might honor You. Amen.
3. Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. – Romans 13:1 NLT
Jesus, You showed us what it looks like to be subject to the governing authorities, even when things are difficult. Give us strength and wisdom to walk like You. Help us to submit ourselves to the leaders You’ve placed over us. Give us an understanding that ultimately You are in control. Amen.
4. And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare. – Jeremiah 29:7 NLT
Holy Spirit, we want to see everyone, especially our leaders, walk in the blessing that comes with living out a life of faithfulness and obedience to You. Create a desire within our leaders to be pleasing to You, and use our leaders to help bless and prosper our city. Amen.
5. Then if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. – 2 Chronicles 7:14 NLT
Father, in remembering our need for Your saving grace, I lift those in authority to You. Create in us humble hearts so that we may pray for our leaders to honor You in everything they do. Give us the strength to pray for our leaders and bless them even when it is hard. Amen.
6. Now then, you kings, act wisely! Be warned, you rulers of the earth! 11 Serve the LORD with reverent fear, and rejoice with trembling. – Psalm 2:10-11 NLT
God, I pray that You would bless our leaders with Your divine wisdom and the mind of Christ, so that they can make decisions with understanding and humility. I acknowledge Your supreme authority and ask that our leaders would rightly appropriate Your place in their lives. May our leaders seek Your guidance in all that they do. Amen.
7. Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers. – Proverbs 11:14 NLT
Lord, thank You for those in leadership. We know, as Your Word mentions, that a nation will crumble and fall without wise leadership. We acknowledge You as the wisest leader that there is. Surround them with godly counsel and with advisors who know You and walk faithfully with You. Amen.
8. The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the LORD; He guides it wherever He pleases. – Proverbs 21:1 NLT
Father, we trust You above all rulers and human authorities. Guide our leaders as You see fit. We pray for them that they would yield to Your Spirit and Your wisdom. Lead them according to Your perfect will. Let our leaders fulfill their God-given destiny and accomplish the assignments You have for them. Amen.