When the world around us seems chaotic, keeping our emotions together is challenging. While we can’t always control our circumstances, we know who controls everything. Everyone experiences different feelings and responses to events that come our way. God is both consistent and constant as we face life’s problems. Here are eight prayers to help calm your spirit and process your emotions when life overwhelms you.
1. O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer! 2 From the ends of the earth, I cry to You for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety, 3 for You are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. – Psalm 61:1-3 NLT
Lord, help me to run to You when my heart is weary. I trust that You’ll give me the strength I need. You provide refuge for my soul when I try to maintain my emotions. Guide me to look to You through everything I’m feeling.
2. “God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God.” – Matthew 5:9 NLT
Father, give me peace when my emotions say otherwise. Calm my spirit as life throws things my way that are difficult to navigate. When chaos surrounds me, help me remain in Your presence and trust in You. May I seek Your face first before reacting to my circumstances.
3. Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. 20 Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. – James 1:19-20 NLT
God, sometimes I feel angry and upset with what’s happening around me. Lead me to Your presence when I feel these emotions rising within me. Please help me to be slow to react to others; control my spirit as I strive to be quick to listen to others before I respond.
4. For the grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to all people. 12 And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God. – Titus 2:11-12 NLT
Heavenly Father, help me to trust in Your grace when I feel overwhelmed with emotion. Thank You for the gift of salvation because of what Jesus did for me on the cross. May the truth of my place in Your family help calm my erratic emotions. Lead me further into righteousness as I continue to focus on You. In Jesus’ name, amen.
5. Either way, Christ loves controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. – 2 Corinthians 5:14 NLT
Father God, You hold all things. May I lean on Your truth when I don’t know how to respond to my surroundings. I pray that I reflect Christ’s love to others as I seek to control my emotions. Let the hope of the gospel fill my spirit when I feel overwhelmed.
6. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. – Hebrews 13:8 NLT
Lord, I praise You for Your faithfulness in my life. Even though it’s difficult to control my emotions, You are a constant source of hope. The consistency You provide through Your Son is what I need when I don’t know where to turn. May I always turn to Jesus when I’m lost and confused because He will surely be there for me.
7. For the LORD gives wisdom! From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. – Proverbs 2:6 NLT
God, give me wisdom in everything I face. I look to You for power when my emotions are taking over. You understand how I’m feeling, so help me to lean on You for guidance and knowledge in these moments. You give good things to Your children, and You don’t keep anything from us. May I always remember this truth. In Jesus’ powerful name, amen.
8. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. – Philippians 4:6 NLT
Lord God, carry this burden of my anxious heart and emotions. This life is sometimes too much to bear. Calm my spirit when I’m facing conflict. Teach me to turn to You in prayer no matter what I am facing. You continue to do so many good things in my life. Never stop reminding me of Your faithfulness when my surroundings distract me from the truth.