Do you struggle to overcome temptation? It can be difficult at times to control our selfish thoughts and desires. Thankfully, God promises we don’t have to do it alone. He gives us resources here on earth through our support systems, His Word, and His Spirit to help us through tempting times. God is faithful and will help us overcome our temptations if we ask Him. Here are 8 prayers for you to pray to help you begin to overcome your temptations.
1. God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him. – James 1:12 NLT
Lord, You bless those who patiently endure temptation, but it is challenging to patiently endure something so difficult. Please give me the strength and patience to endure and overcome this temptation I am facing. In Jesus’ name, amen.
2. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure. – 1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT
God, so often I think I have to handle everything alone. However, Your Word says not only will You not allow temptation to be more than I can take, but You will also show me the way out. Help me see the escape You are providing me with and give me the strength to take it. The only way I will be able to handle the temptations of this world is by leaning on and getting my power through You. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3. “Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the Spirit is willing, but the body is weak!” – Matthew 26:41 NLT
Father, I know my body is weak, and if I solely rely on my body, I will easily fall into temptation. Please help me to rely on Your Spirit within me to hold me back from temptations of my flesh rather than purely relying on myself. I know You are always with me and will help me if I ask. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen.
4. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do, yet He did not sin. 16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. – Hebrews 4:15-16 NLT
Jesus, You never had to come to earth and suffer for me, yet You did so willingly. You suffered all the temptations I face today and never gave in to them. Please give me Your strength to overcome my temptations just as You did, Lord. I need Your help and Your grace in this moment of temptation. In Your name, amen.
5. So you see, the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their trials, even while keeping the wicked under punishment until the day of final judgment. – 2 Peter 2:9 NLT
God, I am struggling with temptation and need You to rescue me. I’m so glad You are walking through this with me today. Thank You for sending Jesus my Savior and faithfully carrying me through all these trials. Help me to lean on Your power and strength right now. Guide me along the path You want me to take away from temptation and into Your good plan for my life. In Jesus’ mighty name, amen.
6. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. – Ephesians 6:11 NLT
Lord, I know that the trials and temptations of this world I face come from the devil. I pray that You give me Your armor and protection against him and all the temptations I face now. I ask that I stand firm in Your strength and not rely on myself. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen.
7. And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and He never tempts anyone else. – James 1:13 NLT
Father, I know that the temptations I face do not come from You in any way. You are a loving Father longing for a deeper relationship with me. Please help me to follow Your ways and Your will and to remember that all good things come from You, Lord, not the world that I desire at the moment. In Jesus’ name, amen.
8. You know what I long for, Lord; You hear my every sigh. – Psalm 38:9 NLT
Lord, You know everything that goes on in my heart. Despite knowing these desires, You do not shame me or condemn me. Instead, You welcome me into Your kingdom with open arms. Please change my desires so I may be more like You. I pray all these things in the most holy name of Jesus. Amen.