What does it mean to have a prayer life? How can I create one? How should it look? There is no perfect answer to these questions because each believer’s prayer life depends on their unique relationship with God. As my prayer life has developed over the years, there have been seasons when my personal prayer life has looked different. God isn’t interested in how well we speak when we pray; rather, He merely wants us to have a deep desire to engage with Him. Our prayer lives can be so much more than just giving God our to-do list. Here are 8 prayers to help you have a more meaningful prayer life.
1. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. – Romans 12:12 NLT
Father, help me to remember that my hope is in You. As challenges and trouble come my way, let me have a strong conviction to invite You into the situation through prayer. Lord, encourage me to keep praying and not give up even when I don’t see immediate relief. Amen.
2. “My prayer is not for the world, but for those You have given Me, because they belong to You.” – John 17:9 NLT
Lord, it’s so easy for me to bring my list of things I want You to do for me. Father, I want to pray more like You do, putting others before myself. Help me to understand that the people You have placed in my life are also a part of Your call on my life. Give me the discernment and words I need to pray for them. Amen.
3. “I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.” – Mark 11:24 NLT
God, thank You that prayer carries so much power. Help me to pray with such a spirit of faith that when I come to You and pray, I will know that You want to work in my life for Your glory and my good. Amen.
4. But God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer. – Psalms 66:19 NLT
Lord, there are times when I worry that You won’t hear my prayers. Yet, Your Word repeatedly states that You pay attention when Your children call out to You. God, please give me the assurance that You hear me when I pray. Amen.
5. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. – Philippians 4:6-NLT
Lord, I am sorry that most of the time when I pray, I do so from a place of worry and anxiety. Help me to approach You with thankfulness and praise. And Lord, as I do this, let me focus away from my problems and on Your goodness. Thank You for all the good that You are doing and have done in my life. Amen.
6. Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. – Colossians 4:2 NLT
Father, so many different things in my day-to-day distract me from being devoted to my prayer life. Help me to become more faithful in praying regularly. God, please help me also pray with a focused mind and a heart ready to engage with You. Amen.
7. Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. – James 5:13 NLT
God, it’s so simple to turn to You in prayer when something isn’t right in my life. When things go well, I don’t always think to pray and thank You. Lord, please help me to make prayer a continuous dialogue with You. Let me use prayer to invite You into the good and the bad situations. Amen.
8. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. – James 5:16 NLT
Father, sometimes it seems easy to pray for myself. Sometimes when I pray for others, I feel intimidated, and I don’t know what to pray. Give me a spirit of boldness to pray for people who need it and to know that the prayers I pray will produce results. Amen.