There are so many uncertainties when starting a friendship. Coordinating schedules, finding things you have in common, and putting yourself out there can be an exhausting time commitment. There’s no avoiding it—relationships take hard work, but there can be a huge payoff and reward. Once you grow comfortable with someone, being with them becomes less of a chore. You desire to spend time with them, and the unknowns of a new friendship start to melt away. You feel comfortable, familiar, and at ease in their presence. Our relationship with God can be the same way. Sometimes we just don’t feel like spending time with God, but He pursues us in unimaginable ways. All we must do is take the time to reach out to Him and say, “let’s hang out!” While it takes time, effort, and energy, you’ll always be glad you did. Let’s look at 8 prayers for growing our desire for God.
1. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 Point out anything in me that offends You, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. – Psalm 139:23-24 NLT
Lord, You know exactly what I’m thinking and how I’m feeling. Give me the desire to look to You and lean on You for understanding. You give wisdom and guide all of those that come to You. I admit I don’t always search after You before other things—may I continue to learn to follow You and Your ways in everything I do. Amen.
2. In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for Me wholeheartedly, You will find Me. – Jeremiah 29:12-13 NLT
God, I know that You’re always listening. I want to seek You first in all I do—help me to desire to follow You with my whole heart. Show me where I hold back parts of my heart from You. Thank You for Your love and care for me; help me to look for You in every situation I face in this life. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3. Whom have I in Heaven but You? I desire You more than anything on earth. – Psalm 73:25 NLT
Heavenly Father, there are so many distractions in this world. The enemy uses these things to capture my attention and I admit, I fall for them sometimes. Thank You for preparing a heavenly home for me, despite my shortcomings. Sometimes I’m afraid of what people think of me. Guide me to look to You through all the distractions this world offers. I want to desire You more than anything on this earth. Amen.
4. We know we love God’s children if we love God and obey His commandments. – 1 John 5:2 NLT
Father God, give me the willingness to obey You. You want the best for Your children—guide me to put my desires aside. Help me to seek Your will above mine. I want to lean on You when my heart doesn’t desire to obey. In Jesus’ name, amen.
5. But Christ, as the Son, is in charge of God’s entire house. And we are God’s house if we keep our courage and remain confident in our hope in Christ. – Hebrews 3:6 NLT
Lord, thank You for taking charge of my life. You are so holy; may I always remember Your greatness throughout everything I face in this life. Help me desire a relationship with You and not be intimidated by Your power and presence. Give me courage and confidence as I seek to hold on to the hope of Christ as You continue to shape my life for Your glorious purpose. In Christ’s name, amen.
6. Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of His body, the church. – Ephesians 4:15 NLT
Father, I pray I will continue to desire to be more and more like You. Give me the heart to speak the truth in love to everyone I encounter because of the love You showed by sending Jesus. Thank You for giving Your Son to be the ultimate sacrifice and example of love; may my love for others flow from a heart of gratitude for all You’ve done for me. Amen.
7. Search for the LORD and for His strength; continually seek Him. – 1 Chronicles 16:11 NLT
God, I want to lean on You for strength and power. This life is challenging—You know the temptations that I face. I admit that sometimes I look to other things to fulfill and give me strength; help me desire to seek You continually in all things. May I search for Your strength before looking to my own. Amen.
8. As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, O God. 2 I thirst for God, the Living God. When can I go and stand before Him? – Psalm 42:1-2 NLT
Lord, I want to long for Your presence more than anything else in this world. I pray You give me the desire and heart to long after You and Your Word. I’m grateful for the satisfaction You offer through praising Your name—continue to guide me on this journey to desiring You above all else. In Jesus’ name, amen.