If you’re married, you know that money problems can be a huge point of conflict in your relationship with your spouse. In the midst of a season where tensions are high, it’s easy to blame your spouse when things are going wrong. Here are 8 prayers to pray when you and your spouse are fighting over finances.
1. Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you. – 2 Corinthians 13:11 NLT
Lord, give me and my spouse peace over our financial situation. Help us to continually strive to grow in maturity and encourage one another, even when things are tough. I know You are with us through all seasons of our lives and relationship. Guide us as we continue to seek You in all we do. In Jesus’ name, amen.
2. Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. – Philippians 2:2 NLT
Father, help me to seek unity with my spouse. I admit sometimes it’s difficult to agree on our finances. Mold our hearts to desire to work together. Guide us to be a team in every area of our lives, especially when it comes to financial matters. Amen.
3. Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law. – Romans 13:8 NLT
God, thank You for loving us so well. Because of Jesus’s example and sacrifice on the cross, we know we are loved. Let us continue to love one another through every season of our lives, even when we’re in the midst of a difficult financial situation. In Jesus’ name, amen.
4. Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time. – Proverbs 13:11 NLT
Heavenly Father, help us to lean on You when things are difficult. We want to trust Your plan. Help us to rely on You through uncertainty. Remind us there are no shortcuts to lasting wealth through hard work, so that we may gain a heart of endurance and contentment and value Jesus above all things. Amen.
5. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. – 1 Timothy 6:10 NLT
Lord God, guide us to have faith in You. Help us not to wander from Your promises and set our gaze on You when we’re having conflict. The enemy wants to use our finances to distract us from Your truth, so I pray that You would help us to love You more than earthly possessions. In Jesus’ name, amen.
6. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. 3 Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace. – Ephesians 4:2-3 NLT
God, it’s challenging to be patient with my spouse sometimes, especially when we disagree about how to handle money. Allow us to be gentle with one another as we seek unity and peace in our relationship during tough seasons. Show us how and where to graciously compromise with each other. You are the Ultimate Provider so help us to trust in You always. Amen.
7. Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.” – Hebrews 13:5 NLT
Lord, we confess that sometimes we think money and possessions will make us happy. Help us to be satisfied with what we have. We admit that we don’t always have faith in You, but remind us that You will never fail us no matter what. When my spouse and I are stressed about money, help us remember Your faithfulness in our lives in every circumstance. In Jesus’ name, amen.
8. Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. – Proverbs 3:9 NLT
Father, guide me and my spouse to honor You in all things, especially our finances. We know that You are worthy of our trust. You always provide for us and never let us down. May we always remember to be good stewards of what You continually provide for us. Amen.