We all want to feel safe, and there are so many things in life that can make us feel like chaos may just win the day. In His Word, God has given us so many good assurances and promises that remind us we are safe in Him, we are secure in Him, and we are going to find our peace in Him. The psalms are a beautiful place to go when we need this assurance.
1. Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. – Psalm 91:1 NLT
Father, I praise You as the Almighty God. Thank You that not only can I run to You for shelter, but I can set up camp, get comfortable, and rest in the shade of your powerful protection. Please help me draw so close to You that no enemy dares to approach me as I rest in Your shadow. Help me to find peace in the nearness of Your mighty presence.
2. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. – Psalm 91:2 NLT
Father, thank You that You are a safe place for me to go for help. You invite me into Your presence and scoop me up into Your arms every time I run to You. You listen to me and meet my fears, doubts, and failures with Your promises. You know my heart, and my every thought is safe with You. I trust You with anything. Please remind me to always run to You in times of trouble.
3. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. – Psalm 91:3 NLT
Lord, thank You for providing Your Word to safely guide my steps in troubled times, up steep hills, and through deep valleys. Help me see the traps of doubt, fear, and anger that the enemy has laid for me along the way. Guard my heart against anything that would rob me of my joy and confidence in You.
4. He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. – Psalm 91:4 NLT
Lord, I praise You for Your father’s heart for me. You wrap me in Your fierce and protective love, Your mighty wings drawn tight around me as the enemy rages against me. Your promises carry my fear far away and calm my heart. They are my shield and my strength. Thank You for providing all I need in times of trouble.
5. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. – Psalm 91:5 NLT
Lord Jesus, You are the mighty Prince of Peace. Because You are faithful and rule over heaven and earth, I don’t need to be afraid of anything that comes into my life or the lives of my loved ones. Please help me to remember there is nothing that can touch my life apart from Your loving purpose. Thank You for Your Spirit’s protection, strength, and wisdom to meet every challenge.
6. Just open your eyes, and see how the wicked are punished. – Psalm 91:8 NLT
Lord Jesus, I praise You as a just judge who sees all the wrongdoing in this world. You know how others have hurt me, and You know that I haven’t acted correctly towards others either. Thank You for showing mercy to those who love You. Please open my eyes to see You at work in my life and help me trust You when life feels unfair.
7. If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. – Psalm 91:9-10 NLT
Father, I praise You as a God I can trust and under whose canopy of love I can rest. I’m so thankful that Your heart of love for me and Your promises to provide for me will never fail. Through You, I can have victory over every enemy that comes against me. No matter how strong my enemies, You are still greater. In Your presence, I can find peace and safety.
8. For He will order His angels to protect you wherever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone. – Psalm 91:11-12 NLT
Lord, I praise You as an abundant giver. You know the spiritual battle that I face today, and You have provided Your Spirit, Your Word, and even angels as ministers of Your love to protect me. Your love goes before me, stooping to remove even the tiniest pebble that could cause me to stumble. Thank You for providing so much for me.
9. You will trample upon lions and cobras; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet! – Psalm 91:13 NLT
Lord Jesus, in Your mighty name, I can overcome every enemy. My worst fears and deepest dreads about my life or future are nothing compared to the power of Your Word to defeat them. Please help me to meet the anxious thoughts that lie in wait for me with faith in Your promises of good toward me. Help me trust in Your plans for me.
10. The LORD says, “I will rescue those who love Me. I will protect those who trust in My name. – Psalm 91:14 NLT
Father, I praise You as a personal God who sticks with me through the darkest times of my life. Your ear is tuned to the frequency of my heart’s cry, and my tears move You swift and sure to my rescue. Thank You for rescuing me when no one else could. Please help me to trust in Your name and work on my behalf.