The Bible never once teaches us to be afraid. Instead, it wants us to be alert and aware. (1 Peter 5:8-9 & 2 Corinthians 2:11). Those in Christ have been removed from under the authority of darkness (Colossians 1:13). 1 John 5:18 tells us that the child of God is held securely by Jesus, and "the evil one cannot touch them." As believers, we are safe in Christ. Yet, there is still clearly a mindful awareness we are to embrace as we humble ourselves, submit to God, and resist the devil. The promised result? The enemy will run from Christ in us (James 4:7)! The following are 8 prayers reminding us to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and off these lesser powers. Jesus and His Kingdom are the highest existing authority, and as we are submitted to Him, there's nothing to fear.
1. Now He is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come. God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made Him head over all things for the benefit of the church. – Ephesians 1:21–22 NLT
Jesus, I believe there is no ruler, authority, power, leader, or anything else that equals the weight of the authority of Your name. In Your name Jesus, I am safe and secure from every spiritual attack. Help me to rest in this truth and exercise Your authority as I submit to Your Lordship over my life.
2. Because God's children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could He die, and only by dying could He break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. – Hebrews 2:14 NLT
Lord Jesus, I approach You in my human weakness, fears, worries, and anxieties. You know what it's like to be human and have faced the power of death bravely. Your death broke the power of Satan over me, and every other power is subject to Your name. Therefore, I will not fear evil, as You are with me. You are victorious and have purchased me with Your blood.
3. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, He disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross. – Colossians 2:14-15 NLT
Lord Jesus, I am so grateful for Your sacrifice. The enemy has nothing on me because he has nothing on You, and You have me completely. No spiritual power or entity has power or authority over me because of Your death on the cross and resurrection. Thank You for the decisive victory that is ours in Christ Jesus.
4. So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. – James 4:7-8 NLT
God, my Father, I humble myself before Your great and powerful throne. In the name of Jesus, I submit all of me to You. Here I am. I resist the enemy by calling on Your name, Jesus, to save and help me. Draw me close to Your heart, where I am safe and secure in Your protection. You will not fail or let me go.
5. If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For He will order His angels to protect you wherever you go. – Psalm 91:9–11 NLT
LORD Jesus, You are the highest authority, and there is no spiritual power above You. Therefore, I hide in You, as You are my safe shelter. I'm confident that in submitting to You, no evil will ever be able to conquer me. Therefore, in Your name, I trust You to send Your messengers and protect me wherever I go.
6. So that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes. – 2 Corinthians 2:11 NLT
Father, You see everything, and there is nothing that misses Your eyes. You see the schemes of darkness and reveal them with Your light. Make me fully aware of these schemes and keep me protected in Your love. You have designed me to win, so use my life for Your glory, as You have come to destroy the works of the devil.
7. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. May the grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. – Romans 16:20 NLT
God of peace, come and crush the enemy underneath my feet. I run to Your feet for protection as You are my shepherd. You are faithful to watch over me, and You care for me. May Your grace be with me, LORD Jesus, keeping me near Your heart, where I will never be shaken but secured now and always.
8. A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. – Ephesians 6:10–11 NLT
Jesus, thank You that Your Word tells me that in You, I will be able to stand and win against all the strategies of our spiritual enemy. Empower me to be strong in You and in the power of Your might as I put on Christ as armor, protecting my soul as I trust in You.