Do you ever feel like not praying? You're not alone. The Bible is full of instances where God's people didn't feel like praying either. In those times when our heart and our prayers fall flat with numbness, we can remember that great followers of Jesus struggled in their prayer life. Even the disciples asked Jesus how to pray. But God's Word and Spirit can wash us afresh and help us renew our prayer lives. So let's join in the journey and learn how to pray even when we don't feel like praying. Here are 8 prayers to get you started.
1. O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever? How long will You look the other way? 2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? - Psalm 13:1-2 NLT
Lord, right now, it seems like You've abandoned and forgotten all about me. How much longer do I have to wait for You to answer? Please help me remember that You are not unaware of how I feel and what I think, and grace reaches even me. In Jesus' name, amen.
2. The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. 23 Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning. - Lamentations 3:22-23 NLT
Father, You say Your mercies are new every morning, but I feel stale. As I woke up this morning, my mind felt cold toward the things of Jesus and Your work in the world. I feel like Your mercies are far off, and Your faithfulness feels small. Allow me to grasp how big Your grace is and that I live with new morning mercies daily. I look to You, Jesus, amen.
3. When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. 4 Day and night, Your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. - Psalm 32:3-4 NLT
Lord, I want to be released from the weight of my sin and know the grace of Jesus that alone can give me back life and vitality. Help me see the joy of confessing my faults to a God who is for me (Romans 8:31) and Jesus who loves me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:20) amen.
4. Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm. - Psalm 37:8 NLT
Father, I so quickly turn on people instead of attacking problems. Then I felt terrible after my outburst. Lord, please wash over me with Your grace. Please help me admit my anger and seek the forgiveness and refreshment found in You alone. I know my anger does not achieve the righteousness of God (James 1:19-20). Help me to please You with fresh grace, Lord. Amen.
5. Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again—my Savior and 6 my God! Psalm 42:5-6 NLT
Lord, I so easily listen to myself instead of telling myself how to think. Then I allow the tidal wave of feelings to knock me into discouragement. Please help me to look away from myself and look to You, Jesus, for grace. I am not made to solve problems on my own, so raise my hope in You. I choose to praise You, my Jesus, and my God, amen.
6. So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time He will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. - 1 Peter 5:6-7 NLT
Lord, I get down so quickly when I feel like I have been overlooked. If I am honest with myself, it is pride. I also serve out of love for Jesus one minute, then struggle for recognition the next. Thank You, Father, for giving me the Holy Spirit who longs to make much of Jesus in my life. Since You give grace to the humble, make this a day where I lose my ego, and spread the fame of His name. Amen.
7. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. 7 Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
Lord, I feel anxious about what's going on in my life today. I don't even know what to pray right now. Take control of my mind and help me grasp the promises of peace. Help me resist how I feel and pray about everything, for then I will experience Your peace. Guard my heart and mind as I trust You, Lord. Amen.
8. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT
Lord, I gave in to temptation again. And I fell into the same sin again. I feel that gnawing sense of guilt, again. Lord, I am asking for forgiveness again. Thank You that You do not treat me as my sins deserve. You are patient and merciful. I confess and receive the available forgiveness for me and thank You that Your grace is more significant than my sin. Amen.