Are you trapped in an abusive relationship? Abuse can feel like a nightmare that will never end. Then there are the loved ones and onlookers who think leaving the relationship is a simple choice. Others we trust may question our decision to leave. But unfortunately, most people don’t realize how difficult it can be to identify abuse, get the needed support, and decide how to respond when we’re still in the thick of it. They don’t see or understand the many obstacles that victims face and the dangers that lie ahead, even when we decide to leave. But our hope lies in the One who does see. God knows the pain we’ve endured, the threats spoken to us, and the consequences we fear in each decision. He knows, and He cares for us. God hates abuse. Again and again, in the Scriptures, He stands with the oppressed as their help. He protects, He provides, He guides. If you are being abused and can’t see the path forward, cry out to the Lord. He is with you and will be with you every step. Here are 8 prayers to help you get started:
1. O LORD, how long will You forget me? Forever? How long will You look the other way? - Psalm 13:1 NLT
Lord, I feel so forgotten and unseen. Are You even here? There are so many things I do not understand about why this is happening. I feel just as confused when I think about what to do next. Please do not leave me here. I know I cannot do this alone. Come quickly and help me! Be with me and comfort me. Bring the right people that can support me through this time too. Please hurry!
2. I come to You for protection, O LORD my God. Save me from my persecutors—rescue me! - Psalm 7:1 NLT
God, I need You to protect me. Others cannot see what is really going on in our home. But You see through all the deceit and manipulation when I feel so weak and small. You are strong and mighty and more substantial than my abuser. You are the God who saves. Be a shield to me on every side. Please deliver me out of this abuse. Bring me to a place of freedom where I can find peace and healing.
3. Then the LORD told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of My people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering.” - Exodus 3:7 NLT
Lord, thank You for seeing me and caring about how I have been treated. You are watching when my abuser is harsh with me and hurts me. When I am in distress, You hear my cries. Be gracious to me in my suffering. Be moved by Your compassion to help me! Defend and rescue me, just as You rescued Your people from Pharaoh's oppression. Please bring me out by Your mighty hand and outstretched arm. Lead me to safety, and I will sing Your praises.
4. For I hold you by your right hand—I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, “Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.” - Isaiah 41:13 NLT
Father, I confess that I am so afraid. I have never felt so alone. People may encourage me to leave the abuse or to stay, but none of them can walk this road for me. What if I take the wrong step? What if I make things worse? All the “what if” questions are filling my mind. You say You are here with me and You will help me. I believe. Help my unbelief! Fill me with new confidence in Your love for me and Your power to help me. Thank You for Your faithfulness. You will walk this road with me. Please give me what I need.
5. I will lead blind Israel down a new path, guiding them along an unfamiliar way. I will brighten the darkness before them and smooth out the road ahead of them. Yes, I will indeed do these things; I will not forsake them. - Isaiah 42:16 NLT
God, You have led Your people safely through dangerous circumstances. You part the seas and move in the hearts of rulers. You do the impossible. I cannot see the way forward, so please guide me down this unknown path. Speak to me and let Your words light the way for my next step. Where I could get tripped up, go before me and prepare the way. Thank You for saying You will stay with me. I am so glad You have a plan.
6. O LORD, keep me out of the hands of the wicked. Protect me from those who are violent, for they are plotting against me. 12 But I know the LORD will help those they persecute; He will give justice to the poor. - Psalm 140:4,12 NLT
O Lord, You are the One who can make things right! When people do not step in to protect me, when the law does not bring justice, I know that You are still on Your throne. Creation itself obeys Your commands. You will be my help. I fear what my abuser is thinking and planning, but Your plans for me will stand. You are my refuge and my hiding place. Please keep me safe and fill my heart with the peace only You can bring now.
7. The LORD’s promises are pure, like silver refined in a furnace, purified seven times over. Therefore, LORD, we know You will protect the oppressed, preserving them forever from this lying generation - Psalm 12:6-7 NLT
God, I am surrounded by lies and confusion. I think this is abuse, but whenever I talk to this person, I am confused again. I feel like I am losing my mind! What is true and accurate? Who can I trust? Even Your words have been used as a weapon to wound me and control me. Please be merciful to me. Heal my wounds, restore my faith, and show that Your words are trustworthy and true. Speak Your words of comfort and hope over me. Give me truths I can cling to. Help me stand on Your Word to find the stability and clarity I need.
8. Those who fear the LORD are secure; He will be a refuge for their children. - Proverbs 14:26 NLT
Lord, I know I am called to live for You, not my abuser. I confess that in my fear, there are times when I seek to please them more than I aim to please You. But it is never enough. I try to keep things safe and calm, but I cannot stop the abuse. Their anger and punishment loom more significant in my mind than Your power and love for me. But indeed, You are more extraordinary. You are the One who makes my steps secure. You are the One my children and I need to take care of us. So give me the courage to do what is right and leave the results in Your hands. You will be our refuge.