Then he said, “Don’t be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day you began to pray for understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your request has been heard in heaven. I have come in answer to your prayer”. – Daniel 10:12 NLT
Daniel was just a teenager when he was taken as a prisoner of war by the invading Babylonian Empire. Daniel continually found strength as he sought the LORD through various moments of crisis. Through these uncertain times, we can learn how God kept the prophet Daniel steady as he prioritized these 5 factors.
1. Daniel stayed focused on his health. (DANIEL 1:8-16) Being healthy is often one of the first things people stop thinking about in a crisis. Daniel however deliberately chose a healthy diet and lifestyle. This can apply to our eating, our exercise, and even our mental health. Purposefully making the best choices for our overall health will help us have energy in the short term and stamina in the long term.
2. Daniel chose to trust God when it looked bleak. (Daniel 2:14-28) One of the critical things you will notice about Daniel is he had several instances where his life was threatened. Every time Daniel faced a circumstance beyond his control, he went to the LORD in prayer. God faithfully brought him safely through each crisis. Like Daniel, God wants us to choose to create a habit of turning to Him in good times and bad.
3. Daniel stayed connected to the right people. (Daniel 3:16-30) In uncertain times it’s best to align our hearts with the right people who can keep us centered on Jesus. Daniel chose a partnership with three bold friends who refused to bow in worship to fear or any other god but the LORD. Daniel was an influencer and a leader, deliberately connecting to other leaders.
4. Daniel stayed steady and had integrity at all costs. (Daniel 6:10-21) Daniel would not allow a crisis to tempt him to follow the ways of the world. He treasured his devotion to the LORD in prayer over everything else. He would pray and have integrity, even if it would potentially cost him his life. Once again, God showed Himself faithful when Daniel refused to bow to fear.
5. Daniel stayed rooted in his spiritual disciplines. (Daniel 9:2-6) Through countless trials, Daniel sought to see life through the lens of the scriptures. There are many other voices out there calling for our attention right now. Like Daniel, we can stay firm and focused by reading the Word of God. Stay in your Bible, pray, worship, and press into the heart of God in this time.
Lord Jesus, during uncertain times in the past, You have always shown Yourself faithful to me, so I trust You right now! Give me grace and strength to stay focused on Your path. Root me in truth and help me see my troubles through the lens of Your Word.
Soak and Reflect
1. Meditate on this verse and prayer as a guide to seek God and His strength.
2. Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. – Psalm 34:5 NLT