Friendships are an important part of our lives. They come in many shapes and sizes. When we pursue a friendship with people, we usually share common interests. However, there are instances when some friendships are unique because the other person may have a different faith or no faith at all. Over the years, I’ve grown to see friends, who believe differently than I do, as a chance to share the gospel with them. As Christians, we are responsible for sharing the gospel with as many people as possible. However, sharing our beliefs with friends might sometimes feel awkward. Below are eight prayers to help you share the gospel with someone you call a friend.
1. For I am not ashamed of this good news about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. – Romans 1:16 NLT
Father, I might be cautious and shy at times when it comes to sharing the good news with friends. When I try to tell them about Jesus, I sometimes feel a little embarrassed. Help me to remember there is nothing to be ashamed of when I tell my friends about You because the gospel truly can save those who believe in it. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
2. But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the good news, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you. – 2 Timothy 4:5 NLT
Lord, it’s challenging for me to keep my mind clear. At times, I can be so concerned that I’ll lose my friends if I tell them about You. God, enable me to take advantage of opportunities to share Your gospel with my friends and carry out the ministry You’ve given me. Amen.
3. And then He told them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to everyone.” – Mark 16:15 NLT
Lord, help me remember that my friends need You. Father, remind me to see my friendships as opportunities to spread the message of hope. Let me not let our friendship prevent me from telling them about You. Amen.
4. So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making His appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” – 2 Corinthians 5:20 NLT
Jesus, sometimes I forget I am Your ambassador to my friends. Show me how to live my life in such a way that my friends see You in me. Help me to remember when I share the gospel, I speak on Your behalf. In Your name, amen.
5. Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it. – 1 Peter 3:15 NLT
Lord, thank You for transforming me and helping me grow to be more like You. It is too easy for me to skip sharing the gospel with my friends because I don’t always feel ready. Help me to be intentional in bringing the gospel of Jesus into my conversations and to remain in a position of readiness to share it. In the name of Jesus, amen.
6. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. – Ephesians 2:10 NLT
Father, it’s so easy to get distracted by all the numerous things that are going on in my life. Sometimes I get caught up in doing things that aren’t in line with what You want. Remind me that I am Your masterpiece. I can and will accomplish what You have planned for me through Your grace. Help me influence my friends for Jesus’ glory, and let me lean into the confidence that doing this aligns my life to Your plans and purposes. In Jesus’ name, amen.
7. Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. – 2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT
Lord, there are many instances when I don’t feel qualified to share the Bible with my friends. May Your power appear greatest in my weakness. As I allow Your power to work through me, I pray my friends will be shaped significantly. In Jesus’ mighty name, amen.
8. “This is My commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:12-13 NLT
God, sometimes when I’m with my friends, it’s easy to notice their faults and issues. Help me to remember to love them in the same way that You have loved me. Allow that love to propel me to share the good news with them, and I pray that I can count it a joy to know Your Son by sharing Your love with my friends. I pray all these things in Jesus’ name, amen.