Have you ever hesitated or not shared your faith at all because you started feeling anxious and unqualified? What if I make a mistake? What if my mind goes blank? If you’ve ever found yourself in this place, we want to encourage you that you are not alone. Even though witnessing to people can sometimes feel overwhelming, we can overcome this fear. If you’ve ever experienced fear around sharing the gospel, God and His Word can help you overcome that roadblock. Here are eight prayers for overcoming your fear of witnessing.
1. Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. – 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NLT
God, all too often, I don’t feel like I am good enough to share the gospel with others. Instead, I feel overcome by feelings of fear and inadequacy. Please help me to keep in mind that because You are with me, I am equipped to make a compelling witness to others that will bring You honor. Amen.
2. Then He said to me, “This is what the LORD says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by My Spirit, says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies.” – Zechariah 4:6 NLT
Father, please remind me that I don’t have to do things alone. Sometimes I feel such intense pressure to perform and I take the entire burden upon myself. Please help me to remember I need Your Spirit to be a witness for You because I know You are the One who can best minister to people. I can’t do it on my own strength. Amen.
3. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. – 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT
Lord, there are moments when I feel paralyzed with fear just thinking of sharing my faith with others. Lord, please help me to remember that I can overcome my fear by remembering that it doesn’t originate from You. Father, please remind me to embrace Your love whenever I feel fear. In Jesus’ name, amen.
4. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13 NLT
Lord, there are moments when I focus more on my flaws than anything else. This can, at times, be incredibly crippling. Father, please help me always remember that You have given me the strength to accomplish any challenge You have led me to. Please remind me to continually draw strength from You as I spread the good news to others. In Jesus’ name, amen.
5. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow Me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” – Matthew 4:19 NLT
Father, sometimes I don’t feel like I am cut out for witnessing to people about You. Holy Spirit, remind me when I follow Your leadership that You are continuing to work and develop me into a fisher of men and women. Amen.
6. So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making His appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” – 2 Corinthians 5:20 NLT
Lord, there are times when I forget I represent You. When I share Jesus with others, there is sometimes a lot of pressure on me to say and do the right thing. Help me to understand it’s You speaking and making an appeal through me to them. Without You, I am helpless, but with You, I have great help! In Jesus’ name, amen.
7. I prayed to the Lord, and He answered me. He freed me from all my fears. – Psalms 34:4 NLT
Father, sometimes when I share about Jesus with someone, I am paralyzed with fear. Please remind me that You are there for me when I call on You for help. Lord, I pray I will remember You have freed me from all of my fears. Amen.
8. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. – Philippians 4:6 NLT
Lord, when I witness to someone, please help me with feelings of anxiousness. Help me to be reminded that all I need to do is pray when I experience those feelings of nervousness. I desire to walk in Your perfect peace in every situation. In Jesus’ name, amen.