Forgiveness is difficult. Whether we need to forgive someone or need forgiveness ourselves, it can be a challenging and painful process to work through. When it feels like we could never forgive someone who’s wronged us, we have the Ultimate Example to look to who will show us the way. Here are 8 prayers for when forgiveness takes time.
1. Hatred stirs up quarrels, but love makes up for all offenses. – Proverbs 10:12 NLT
Lord God, help me to love when someone wrongs me. I admit it’s difficult to respond with forgiveness when I’m angry and when someone has treated me poorly. Guide me to choose Your love over hatred even when it’s not my first choice. In Jesus’ name, amen.
2. He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. – Psalm 103:12 NLT
Father, thank You for the gift of forgiveness that You have so freely given through Jesus. Teach me how to forgive others as You’ve forgiven me. I admit I often fall short of Your standards, but I’m so grateful You are faithful to forgive me over and over again. Help me to have Your heart toward others. In Jesus’ name, amen.
3. But the Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against Him. – Daniel 9:9 NLT
God, I don’t deserve the mercy You extend toward me. I know I struggle and sin against You, yet You are a constant source of forgiveness and grace. I admit, I tend to rebel against You in so many ways. Help me see how You forgive others. May I extend the same forgiving spirit towards everyone I encounter through every circumstance. In Jesus’ mighty name, amen.
4. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. – Colossians 3:13 NLT
Heavenly Father, help me to remember the example of forgiveness that Jesus set for me on the cross. Even when it’s emotional and painful to forgive, teach me to show mercy toward others. Teach me patience as I seek to forgive in all circumstances even when it hurts. In Christ’s name, amen.
5. Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends. – Proverbs 17:9 NLT
God, knowing You want me to love others is a lot easier than actually doing it. I find it challenging to be kind to those that cause me pain. Help me to be quick to release others of their mistakes against me. Help me to not hold on to hurt and release forgiveness quickly. In Jesus’ name, amen.
6. Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. – Proverbs 4:23 NLT
God, walking through forgiveness is difficult. What is even harder is trying to protect my heart amidst the hurt. I know carrying around pain can really affect the attitude of my heart. Holy Spirit help me to guard my heart while You do a work in me through this tough situation. In Jesus’ name, amen.
7. “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven.” – Luke 6:37 NLT
Lord Jesus, I am hurt, and choosing to extend grace and forgiveness right now feels so hard. Holy Spirit minister to my heart and help me to remember not to judge those that have hurt me. Lord, remind me to keep on forgiving those that cause me pain time and time again. Amen.
8. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. – Ephesians 4:31-32 NLT
Jesus, lately the thought of extending forgiveness in my situation feels like a burden. At times just the thought of everything stirs up feelings of rage and bitterness. Lord when these feelings come, please help me to remember that I get to choose to forgive because You first forgave me. In the most holy name of Jesus Christ, amen.