This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him. 3 For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. 4 He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. - Psalm 91:2-4 NLT
Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, wars, national unrest, and terrorists can be unsettling and strike fear in us. Unfortunately, fear and uncertainty are part of life, but God precisely protects and guides us. Here are 4 truths about God you can hold onto.
1. God is powerfully around us. My son and I were on our dark porch. My son pulled out my key, saying, "Daddy, I am scared." I looked at him in confident love and said, "Am I scared, son?" He said, "No, Daddy." "God is here with us. You don't have to be scared either," I said. He then smiled with hope. The psalmist said God is there, "even darkness is not dark to God" (Psalm 139:7-12). There is not a square inch of the universe that is not controlled by God so He can care for our families and future.
2. God is lovingly for us. Let that sink in. If the God of the universe is FOR us, then WHO or WHAT can stand against us? (Romans 8:31) Nothing of significance! God promises that His "goodness and mercy shall follow us ALL the days of our lives" (Psalm 23:6). He is "intimately acquainted with ALL of our ways" (Psalm 139:3).
3. God is personally IN us. When anxiety strikes, we can claim, "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power, love, and a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7). We have God's power and love in us. Peter denied Jesus three times and ended his life courageously. Why? God's powerful Holy Spirit gave him courage. God's "divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3), so we can break the back of anxiety with God's truth (Psalm 27:1, 56:3-4).
4. God is always WITH us. God's protection does not exempt us from suffering (James 1:2). Because God is WITH us and surrounds us, worry falls away. (Matthew 6:25-34, 1 Peter 5:6-7). God will not abandon us (Psalm 37:8, Matthew 28:20, Hebrews 13:5), so we can live in power. If God did the GREATER thing in saving us, won't He do the LESSER thing in KEEPING and protecting us? Of course. Nothing can separate us from the love of God, so allow trials to shape us (Romans 8:28-30). Since our faith is protected by the power of God (1 Peter 1:5) and God is around us, for us, in us, and with us… we cannot lose!
Possible Next Steps for Protection Concerns
- Make a point of bringing your decisions to God first; before you make plans, talk with Him and consult His Word.
- Spend time casting all your fears and concerns on Him.
- Memorize scriptures that strengthen you in your heart.
- Connect to a local church, join in prayer with others, and invite them to pray for you.
If your safety is in question, contact the local authorities, and seek immediate help.
Below are some scriptures to help you know what God says about our need to feel safe and protected. If you want prayer or to talk about your current situation, feel free to call the pastoral care team at 800-525-5683.
For He will order His angels to protect you wherever you go. – Psalm 91:11
Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. - Ephesians 4:29-32
The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. - Romans 13:4,12
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. - James 1:27
Obey your spiritual leaders, and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this with joy and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit. - Hebrews 13:17