Do you ever feel like unwanted thoughts are swirling around like a tornado in your head? Whether you struggle with worry, mental illness, or negative thought patterns, there is hope for intrusive thoughts. While we typically feel pretty in control of our actions, often, our thought life feels so far out of our control. Thankfully, our wonderful God can bring healing to our physical bodies and to our minds as well. Along with this encouragement, God’s Word gives some practical helps to us too. Philippians 4:8 says, “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Sounds easier said than done, right? But we can do our part in this through getting in God’s Word, honestly coming before Him in prayer and worship, and surrounding ourselves with other believers who encourage us. To help you fix your mind on Christ, we have provided these Scriptures and prayers for you to meditate on.
1. How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? – Psalm 13:2 NLT
Father, I am tired of this fight against my thoughts. It leaves me so exhausted and discouraged that I often feel I don’t have the strength to keep fighting. I need the peace only You can provide. Help me to find relief in Your presence right now. As I draw near You, please clear my mind, blessing me with the peace I desperately need.
2. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. – Romans 12:2 NLT
Lord, please transform me from the inside out. Remove any thoughts that are not of You, allowing Your loving voice to reign in my mind. Protect me from filling my mind with worldly things to find temporary comfort. Instead, I’m choosing to focus on You so I can hear Your gentle voice reminding me of Your good plans for my life.
3. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. – Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
God, You know us so well. So, gracious Father, help me to come honestly before You now. I’m coming before You with everything weighing heavy on my heart and mind. Thank You for providing for my needs and blessing me with comfort in the waiting. Please replace this burden with Your perfect peace. May it guard my heart and mind today as I continually bring these things to You.
4. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. 3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. – Colossians 3:2-3 NLT
Father, amidst all the distractions around me, it’s hard to keep my eyes upon You. Show me how I can minimize the distractions around me, focusing on things that point me towards Christ. Then, when my mind wanders, or those evil thoughts come back in, help me to go to You continually in prayer. As I learn to fix my eyes on You, Lord, I pray that You will heal my mind, blessing me with the peace only You can bring.
5. But the Lord is faithful; He will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. – 2 Thessalonians 3:3 NLT
Lord, protect my mind from all schemes of satan. I’m thankful for our authority in Jesus; satan has no lasting power over my mind! Please break any strongholds in the name of Jesus, bringing healing to my thought life. Please replace satan’s condemning voice with Your own and help me to be able to recognize his lies for what they are. Help me to grow in my knowledge of Your Word, so I can speak Your truth against his falsehoods.
6. I cried out, “I am slipping!” but Your unfailing love, O LORD, supported me. 19 When doubts filled my mind, Your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. – Psalm 94:18-19 NLT
God, I am so thankful I can bring my doubts, questions, and struggles before You! Give me the strength to come honestly before You now instead of trying to push these things aside. You already know my thoughts, so help me to stop hiding them from You. They already feel less heavy by voicing these burdens, as You allow me to carry them. Please bless me with comfort, hope, and understanding as I cry out to You.
7. “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” – John 14:27 NLT
Lord, please bless me with the heavenly peace that I desperately need. My mind feels cluttered, and I’m overwhelmed with this constant battle against fear. I’ve tried to control this alone, but it only leaves me feeling frustrated and, at times, beyond hope. I need the help and healing that only You can bring. Please, Father, allow Your peace to wash over me at this moment, especially as I remember our eternal hope in Christ. You will hold me fast!
8. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. – Romans 8:6 NLT
God, please bless me with the mind of Christ. Help me to walk in Your righteousness, starting with my thought life, allowing Your Holy Spirit to control my mind. Forgive me for thoughts I have harbored that are not honoring You. Help me fix my thoughts on You and bring healing into the aspects of my mind that feel outside my control. Bless me with peace and joy as I walk in Your grace today.