We serve a God who isn’t afraid of our doubts, grief, anger, or other emotions you may be feeling right now. However, when you become so overwhelmed by your circumstances that you start to question if death is the only answer, you need to know two things. First, you are not alone; second, there is always hope if you are willing to receive it.
The Bible is not silent about these dark thoughts and feelings. Just take Psalm 13, for example. David feels forgotten by the Lord and cries out to Him, “How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?” Can you relate to David here? You may feel alone, but you don’t have to be.
If you are reading this, please don’t hesitate to call our pastoral team at 800-525-5683 or the Suicide Hotline by dialing 988 and let someone know what you’re going through.
Here, we have provided some verses and prayers to help you cry out to the Lord and refocus on our eternal hope in Christ. Be encouraged. He loves you and is with you.
1. “In this world you will have many trials and sorrows, but take heart, for I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33 NLT
Jesus, help me to focus on You. This world and everything in it feels so overwhelming now that I just want out. I need You to help me believe that it can get better and that I will be okay because You’re with me. I’m thankful that the chaos I’m walking through and dealing with in my head isn’t chaotic to You, our Prince of Peace. Give me the strength to keep moving forward, trusting You to get me through one day at a time, starting with today.
2. Death wrapped its ropes around me; the terrors of the grave overtook me. I saw only trouble and sorrow. 4 Then I called on the name of the LORD: “Please, Lord, save me!” – Psalm 116:3-4 NLT
Please, Lord, save me! I resonate with these words of the Psalmist, struggling to see hope in my life and situation. I’m thankful that I can come before You honestly, God, and that You alone can save me through Christ’s finished work on the cross. Help me to find rest in that truth as I pour out my heart to You and to believe that I am not too far gone for help or salvation.
3. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. – Romans 7:24 NLT
Jesus, You are my hope. I become overwhelmed when I focus on my own shortcomings or suffering. Trying to fix it on my own and find hope elsewhere isn’t working. So, I’m coming to the Source. Lord, show me how to receive Your hope today in a way that feels real. Protect me from the lie that I must be cleaned up to come to You. Instead, I’m coming as I am, messy and broken, needing Your help and healing.
4. I will brighten the darkness before them and smooth out the road ahead of them. Yes, I will indeed do these things; I will not forsake them. – Isaiah 42:16 NLT
Father, help me to believe these words are valid. Everything feels so dark right now, and I don’t have the strength to keep moving forward. Jesus, as the World’s Light, please bring light into my present darkness. Show me how to move forward and what the next step is. Comfort me with Your presence through this process. I can’t do this alone.
5. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. – Ephesians 2:10 NLT
Father, help me to view myself through Your eyes and to believe that You don’t make mistakes. Forgive me for the unkind thoughts I have harbored against myself, even thoughts of harm. Please heal my mind, removing any ideas and thought patterns that aren’t yours. Though I’m struggling to believe that You still love me and have good plans for my life, help me to trust that Your Word is right.
6. I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night—but even in darkness I cannot hide from You. – Psalm 139:11 NLT
Father, I’m tired of running. I know that I can’t hide from You, but sometimes I feel so alone that it seems like I’ve succeeded and finally driven You away. Please expose these lies for what they are as you reveal Yourself to me. I need to feel Your presence, God. Please replace this darkness with the bright hope of the gospel.
7. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed. – Psalm 34:18 NLT
Father, I need Your comfort and support right now. As my spirit feels crushed beyond repair, I will remember that I have been given Your Holy Spirit to comfort and encourage me. So please bless me with the peace I need today to keep moving forward.
8. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! – 2 Corinthians 4:17 NLT
Lord, help me to keep my eyes on You and to remember that this world is only temporary. What I’m walking through doesn’t feel small or short-lived. And I’m thankful I can bring it all before You, a God who doesn’t view my pain as insignificant. You grieve with me. And You encourage me forward, knowing the glories of eternity in which there will be no more tears or pain. Lord, strengthen me to make it until that day!