Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you. - 1 Peter 5:7 NLT
Family can be one of life's most significant sources of joy and heartache. We all struggle with different issues in our family. Maybe you have had struggles that make you feel stuck. Since God is the author of love and the Maker of marriage and strong families, He is our answer for help and success in our family. God's roadmap, the Bible, is loaded with practical, strategic principles to assist us as a family.
As you decide what next steps to take in dealing with these struggles, we would like to offer a few suggestions we hope you'll find helpful:
1. Faithfully follow Christ. When things get tense in your family, keep following Jesus. Making Christ the center of your life will help you plug into His power for your life.
2. Confront conflict compassionately. Don't respond when you're angry and frustrated. Always start from a place of love. Follow the steps to resolving the conflict Jesus outlined in Matthew 18:15-17.
3. Establish healthy boundaries. It's OK to take a time-out from a tense situation. Let your family know in a kind way when they've crossed the line. If things get too out of hand, you may need to politely leave the room or minimize your time with individuals for a season until it's healthy to be around them again.
4. Connect with other Christians. You have been adopted into God's family if you are a Christian. That means you have spiritual brothers and sisters you can lean on. You may not have healthy relationships with your earthly family. Still, you can continuously develop loving relationships with your Church family.
5. Ask for help. The Bible says in Proverbs 15:22, "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." So if you continue to struggle with your family, it might be time to sit down with one of the pastors at your church or a Christian counselor. Don't be afraid to seek wisdom from trusted professionals who can offer biblically-based advice.
Below are some scriptures to help you know what God says about our stewardship and roles within a family. We have included devotions and resources on the main Family page to assist you with your questions and struggles. If you want prayer or to talk about your current situation, feel free to call the pastoral care team at 800-525-5683.
Romans 14:13 NLT
So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.
Colossians 3:13 NLT
Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you, Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NLT
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
Ephesians 4:26,29 NLT
Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. . . Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that you words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
Colossians 4:6 NLT
Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.